Stress & Dreams.

This was a long and stressful work week. And it was only four days long, since yesterday was Canada Day and I had the day off from the work grind.

Once the week ended, I went to a Bikram class and then taught one directly afterwards. Then I went home and crashed into bed, where I dreamt two very odd dreams.

In the first, I was at a company I had previously worked at many years ago. They had hired me back. But the company was much, much bigger now. And it was located in a big building, which was essentially a house. I kept wandering from room to room, trying to find my office. No room felt right. I didn't fit there.

In the second dream, I was in a bedroom - which felt to be mine - and I managed to drop a bottle of perfume on the carpet. The carpet. The bottle broke, and oily perfume sank into the carpet's hairs. I could smell it. It was lovely. The perfume - which I don't recall in my waking life ever hearing about - was called "Samsara."

Dreaming about a former work suggests there is a lesson from that job which is suggested I apply to my current job. To be searching for my office suggests that I am occupying myself a little too much with work in my waking life. I am always searching for the next thing in my job... The next project... the next new client... The next new process... It just never ends - as exhibited by this week.

This is nothing new. And it doesn't surprise me after the week I had. With any job, whatever I am asked to do, I do it. If I don't agree with what's being asked of me, I leave.

I was far, far more confused by the second dream. Bedrooms are private places. They are where you keep your "secrets". Carpet represents a way of protecting oneself. To smell perfume is to remember the past. Breaking something suggests a "break" or change in something. A bottle is seen as a way to contain something. To spill something suggests getting something out.

I guess there is a perfume, by Geurlain, called "Samsara." But I don't consciously recall ever hearing it. I researched what the term meant, and it is Sanskrit that refers to the "flow of life."

I see the two dreams combined as a subconscious push in a direction feels familiar, but seems silly.

Or, it could just be my brain imploding in on itself after the week I've had.

Comments

Elisa said…
Those are some deep dreams, girl. I revel in making sense of others' dreams. I cannot resist just one more pedantic dive into Heather Molina's unconscious mind.

Samsara is more than just the flow of life; it's the cycle of death and rebirth. Until we reach enlightenment, we're kinda stuck in this cycle. The work dream, the striving to get there, the dullness (?) of the job itself, is part of samsara. That your carpet has become saturated with the pleasant smell of a perfume called samsara is interesting. Pleasure is part of the cycle--in the cycle of death and rebirth, we have pain AND pleasure, among other things. Our beings are saturated with it.

OK, enough. There's my Buddhist-tinged Freudian interpretation of your dream. Oh, and just because I said it was Freudian, perhaps the perfume bottle was phallic.

p.s. I promise I will never, ever do this again. ;-)
Me said…
Please feel free to help me interpret ANYTIME!!!! I'm great with other people's dreams. It's just always so hard with your own. There's underlying bias there that prevents you from being truly objective. So I appreciate it!

Popular Posts