Filene's Basement... I Actually Had A Good Experience There!

Since moving to Boston three years ago, everyone has raved about Filene's Basement and how it is such a fantastic place to shop. Well, I begged to differ. As far as I was concerned, Filene's Basement was filled with nothing but grimey crap... Until I went a Filene's Basement other than the one in Downtown Crossing.

I'm a city gal. Always have been (at heart), always will be. I don't do suburbs. So I refuse to venture out of the city to do shopping at a chain we have here in the city. But that's exactly why my experience at Filene's Basement has never been good!

The Filene's Basement in Downtown Crossing is a piece of crap. And they get nothing but crap stocked in that location. If you want the incredible stuff, the Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors, you have to go to the Filene's Basements outside of the city.

But since I refused to go there, and the fact that I don't own a car to get there, I had just written Filene's Basement off. Never to be a fan.

That is, until they opened one right down the street from work on Boylston.

This location opened on Wednesday of this past week. And it is filled with incredible stuff. I walked in, willing to give the chain another chance, based on some co-workers' incredible find of designer jeans there. When I walked in and headed up the escalator, right at the top was the jeans section. And they had some UNBELIEVABLE designer jeans for cheap. I snagged one pair (I have enough jeans) and decided to just wander around the rest of the women's section.

I wasn't expecting to find anything. But I noticed they had some Coach bags from earlier in the season (I don't carry Coach though, but do love the designs... It's really more of a younger woman's line. Once you hit 28, you really shouldn't be carrying it anymore. Just my opinion. Switch to Cole Haan!) I also some really cook Pumas, and a friend from work picked up some BCBG pumps that were gorgeous.

That's when I noticed a section for cashmere sweaters. And I've been dying to replace some of my cashmere turtleneck sweaters (which are most of what I wear in the winter time). I started going through the racks tugging on sweaters for quality-assurance. They were great sweaters, but they were mostly in bright colors. And I'm more of a "Heather" grey or black sweater kind of gal. Sometimes I wear soft blue or violet. But not pink or yellow. And that's pretty much all they had.

As I was about to accept that all I would be purchasing that day were the jeans, that's when I noticed it... And if I wasn't such a fan of the traditional line, I wouldn't have even given the label a second look. But it caught my eye, and I couldn't not do a double-take.

I had discovered a See By Chloe soft-grey-blue double-breasted military-style wool coat.

It was magnificent. I picked it up. It was my size! I tried it on and buttoned it up... It was wonderful!

"But I really don't need a new coat," I thought. So as I was taking it off, that's when I bothered to look at the tag. And I discovered that the coat was marked down to about 20% of the original cost! How could I not buy it? This was a sign... A sign I must buy this coat.

So I did. And voila! Here it is...

Gorgeous, huh? (I know... It's a bad picture. But my camera sucks.)

Comments

Sarah said…
I can't wait to go to the new FB - the one in Downtown Crossing is a mess, BUT I have bought tons of Michael Kors, BCBG and cashmere there.
Me said…
I think the set-up for the Downtown location is what throws me off. It's not as nice. And it makes it more difficult to find the good stuff.
Sarah said…
Definitely true! It's dark and dingy and just kinda gross. I heard the new one is gorgeous!
Anonymous said…
I always wonder, girls love shopping so much! You shoot for new threads like fans hark after their idols. One way or another I must recognize that the coat is excellent! It was reasonable of you to buy this.

Popular Posts