House of Siam - A Big Thumbs Down.

I always wonder how restaurants get the "Best of Boston"... But my husband and I ventured off Tremont and Washington Streets tonight and over to Columbus.

Big mistake.

The first place we went into, Columbus Cafe and Bar, didn't seem to have any staff in it... We waited for a few minutes and no one came into the dining area. We decided to leave and go somewhere else. Somewhere else had much worse service.

We walked across the street and went into House of Siam.

We were seated right away. That was nice. That's where the nice experience ended though. Ten minutes after we were sat, our server finally showed up. We ordered all our food, including two cokes. Our appetizer came. Then our dinner. The cokes never showed up. And our server never came back after delivering our appetizer.

So the service was bad.

But the food was awful. Beyond awful. And, in my opinion, it's pretty hard to screw up Thai food.

I ordered duck pad thai. And usually pad thai is always a hit. But this one really sucked. I don't know where the duck came from, but it was bad. I took my first bite and bit down hard on what I think was some cartilage. (Eww!) The second bite I took mimicked the first one. I stopped eating the duck and just ate the noodles. Those were tasty. But when you pay over $15 to eat duck, you expect it to be edible.

My husband ordered sweet-n-sour chicken. But there really wasn't any chicken in it. Just mostly onions.

When we got our bill, after requesting it from a different server, the cokes were still on it. We eventually had it taken care of... But for the first time in my life, I allowed my husband to leave a REALLY bad tip. REALLY bad. Normally, if I get at least standard service, I'm good for a 20% tip.

So, a big "thumbs down" for the House of Siam.

Comments

Sometimes you wonder how places like this keep their doors open. Do they just rely on walk-in business in a busy city? Or are there really repeat customers? I find it strange, because my philosophy in whatever I am doing is always to try to provide good value so people will WANT to come back.

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay
Anonymous said…
With the rise of blogs, word of mouth advertising is that much more important. Every customer that walks in the door is a potential critic.

Popular Posts