Why I Hate Reality TV.

Fourteen years ago, I was a gal of 15. It was summer time. I spent most of that summer taking summer school classes to get ahead (kinda dorky) and watching A LOT of television. One show that caught my fancy was an MTV production called "The Real World."

I was TOTALLY captivated by it. So were a lot of young Americans. It changed TV. It (I think) was the one show that really brought the "reality genre" to American TV. But as the years passed by, and more and more reality shows began to flood the airwaves, the reality genre lost its appeal for me. It was no longer new and exciting. It was "been there, done that."

The "reality docu-drama" genre kind held my attention with such fine works as "Laguna Beach" and "The Hills." But now, with this new season of "Laguna Beach," I'm not enticed to watch. At all.

Maybe I'm getting too old? Perhaps. But I think my taste has changed to appreciate the finer qualities of television shows from the days of "yore."

I value TV shows that hire writers who have really practiced their craft. You can NEVER underestimate solid writing skills. Whether it be for a newspaper and magazine or for a television comedy. Reality TV does not legitimately have a story line. Only a story the producers have crafted and conned their subjects into performing.

The only reality TV show I make an exception for is "Project Runway." While, yes, this is a reality TV show; in my mind it is miles apart from the rest of reality TV. Why? The contestants actually have a unique skill that the show is based around. These contestants have talent.

Down with reality TV!

Comments

Popular Posts