Getting "Hamered": Don't Distract Me With Sides.

Finally... After living in the South End for nearly two years, my husband and I finally got around to trying Hamersley's Bistro on Tremont Street. We'd heard fantastic things about their roasted chicken, but found it very difficult to get in without a reservation on a weekend night.

So, instead of dining their this coming Wednesday for Valentine's Day, we decided to book a Sunday night reservation to celebrate the day early. (Plus, there is no way in hell that I would go out on Wednesday night. I mean, there's new episode of LOST on; and I absolutely CAN NOT miss it.)

Well, I'm glad we finally got around to trying dinner at Hamersley's, because it was amazing. The service, the food, the ambiance... It was all good. The only thing that I didn't love (but merely liked) was the dessert we had -- bread pudding. But the rest of the meal was tasty.

We both tried the roasted chicken. And at first that I was a little surprised that the dish didn't come with anything else. It was just a huge piece of roasted chicken. But it was awesome. And I couldn't even finish it. (I really need to learn how to make roasted chicken. But there's something incredibly unappealing about having to reach into the cavity of a bird and pull out the bag of "surprises" that comes in it. "No thanks.") And to be honest, the sides that come with meals tend to "distract" me from the main event on the plate. So they are a bit of an evil thing.

We sat at a cozy half-booth table. Next to us were two gentlemen. And older, gently aging one and one that looked to about my husband's age. They seemed to be talking business. And my husband and I kept catching "drifts" of their conversation. Seems like it was an interview. The older guy was one of the "top" guys at a fund, and the younger guy wants to work there. Over the course of the conversation, we learned that the young guy (who was a total "yes" man, as displayed when the older guy was going on and on about himself and the younger guy kept chiming is with "oh yes!") worked at the same large company my husband works at. (Not surprising. Many people in Boston know someone who works there.)

But during the conversation, it seemed one of the young man's chief complaints about working for this company is that they are planning to relocate a large number of their employees to Rhode Island over the next few years. And as you can imagine, NO ONE is looking forward to that. As it will be a small town in Rhode Island that is close to NOTHING.

So this young fella was obviously trying to sell himself "hard" to the older guy to secure a local job.

"My wife and I love it here," he had mentioned. "We love all the dining in this area."

We figured he must live in the South End as well. And if he and his wife like the convenience and diversity of the South End; she probably isn't a fan of the whole "Rhode Island" possibility either.

Can't blame her though. I would refuse to move to Rhode Island too. If it were part of Providence, sure, I would be enticed to maybe go. But where they are planning the new location of the company; it is literally in the middle of nowhere.

But lucky for me, it isn't on the agenda for my husband's group at work. So "city-living" it is for us.

So, all in all.. Hamersley's Bistro is an brilliant place to "nosh." The food was great. Service was quick and appropriately friendly (I hate servers that are complete "stuck-up asses"). And the "entertainment" from fellow patrons was good.

If you go though, eat the roast chicken. It's the best you will have in your life.

Comments

'omie said…
Ya'll should try Oleana in Cambridge

Popular Posts