More On The New Job.

So, today I started my new job at a Dot-com in Downtown Crossing. This new job is mere feet away from the agency I was employed at last week.

The new company has only about 20 people working in the American office. The rest of the company is based in London. I found out today I will probably have to travel to London sometime in the following months to go meet the team over there. (Which is cool. I had to travel to London back when I worked at the Evil Empire.)

There is no sense of "hierarchy" in the new office. Everyone has their desk. They have a laptop. You come in, you do your work. You eat when you want to eat. You help load the kitchen dishwasher occasionally. And that's pretty much how it"flows" there. People are very nice and friendly. But you better know how to do your job. Because there's no one there to really "nurture" you to get started. You just jump in and start swimming.

(Though, I should note: I do not know how to "swim." Only "doggie-paddle.")

Basically, my gig entails me running and monitoring paid search "spend" on the search engines for the company. If you've worked in paid search, you probably know how much work you are buried in at the beginning of your "campaign" when you are setting everything up. After you get the "bones" in place for the campaign, it is not too "taxing" to manage and optimize the spend daily.

So it is a very good job for me. I have no time-sheets to fill out. No unnecessary meetings which are only set for the "sake of having meetings." No HR person trying to "strong-arm" you in joining the company "harassment" campaign of one of your junior-level team members. (It didn't work, did it? I am loyal to the CORE. But selective who I am loyal to... Which is always going to be employees who work hard instead of the company.) No feeling "overlooked" in favor of the boss's "pet" when it comes to long-term career growth. Bottom line at the new job is, if I perform, I will be recognized. No having to "fight" for recognition.

I am pretty much on my own each day when I step into the office. It is expected that I know what I am doing. Hopefully, I can show this to be evident.

Plus, did I mention I get five weeks of vacation a year???? (28 days!!!!)

Yay!

Comments

Popular Posts