Short Shorts!

I did something new today. I wore shorts in my Bikram yoga class.

Now, some of you may be thinking, "You've never worn shorts in a class where the temperature can range from 100 degrees to 115 degrees Fahrenheit?"

And my answer to you would be, "No I have not."

Ever since I was 24 years old, I never wear anything that comes above my knees. If a skirt or dress does come above my knees, I wear leggings or dark tights under it. It just stopped seeming proper to be a working professional and wear things that short in my mid-20s. And I guess let that transfer over into my workout gear. So I have not worn shorts to the gym or to Bikram classes.

CRAZY!

And a few of my Bikram teachers have commented on it to me over the past few years I have been practicing.

"You should really think about wearing shorts instead of yoga pants that come down past your ankles," they would pretty much say.

And they were right. It was time to start wearing shorts to class. Because there is a HUGE difference in how you stand in the poses. I had gotten so used to knowing what a "locked out leg" FELT like. But since I have practiced a lot in the past five months, my legs naturally go to what feels like a "locked out" position. But it's not always locked out. So I am moving beyond relying on what the muscles feel like when they are locked. I need to learn to visually see what they look like "locked out."

Plus, the class feels a little cooler when you're not wearing leggings. Duh.

Comments

Popular Posts