Hair Care During A Hot Yoga Challenge.

I am on the verge of wrapping up my 101-day Bikram yoga challenge. I only have four classes left to go, as of today. (YAY!)

What's not "yay" though... My hair. (Well, one aspect of it, anyway.)



Yep. The greys are in full effect on top of my head, as I haven't been able to color my hair since December. When doing a yoga challenge, it is completely pointless to try to color them. You won't be able to take a few days off to allow the color to set into the strands.

The first thing I will be doing during my "yoga break" next week is coloring my hair. But this brings up a question I was asked recently...

"How do you take care of your hair during a yoga challenge?"

Yes, your hair spends a lot of time "wet." Either from sweating daily in class or from washing it afterwards... It's no wonder my greys are starting to show! But one thing that has NOT happened: Dry frizzy hair.

Here's what I did to make my haircare regime as "low maintenance" as possible during the challenge:
  • Worked with natural shape. I have long, thick, wavy hair. I didn't try to straighten my hair once during this challenge.
  • Washed my hair after every OTHER class. Yep. It may seem gross. But in order to prevent my hair from drying out, I only used shampoo after every other class. But...
  • Rinsed and conditioned after every class. I always rinsed the sweat from my hair, I just didn't always use shampoo. I did, however, always condition it. Rinse. Leave conditioner in for three minutes. Rinse out. YOU DON'T NEED TO SHAMPOO EVERY DAY.
  • Slept with wet hair, all twisted up. I am not a fan of the hair dryer. Not all the time, anyway. So after I washed and towel dried my hair, I would take sections and twist them. I would then pin them all to the top of my head while I slept. This would enhance my natural waves.
  • Never used any product in my hair. No gel. No hairspray. Just shampoo and conditioner. Products dry your hair out normally. And when you're doing a hot yoga challenge, it can dry things out more quickly.
Keep your hair routine as low maintenance as possible. Keep both your beauty routine and your yoga practice as organic and natural-forming as possible.

I am looking forward to coloring my hair though, after four months.

Comments

thedancingj said…
OR you can chop it all off!! :-D
Marzz said…
Missus, have you tried this? It IS the miracle product:
ihttp://habituallychic.blogspot.com/2010/03/moroccanoil-miracle-worker.html
Me said…
I've seen this! Haven't used it yet. I will pick some up this weekend!
Hair Fall said…
Thanks for the information.........
Anonymous said…
Is it just for dark hair that coloring is deemed "pointless"? I am planning on starting another 30-day challenge very soon. I, however, highlight my hair with bleach. I don't think that is something that can be reversed as easily or washed out as a darkening tint would.
Me said…
If you bleach, it's a completely different story. Nothing is going to affect your color. So no worries for you.

GO FORTH AND HIGHLIGHT!

Popular Posts