You're In Your 20s. Time to Grow Up.

Okay... Just read the NY Times Style Section and came across this article on young people who have jobs but are still getting money from their parents.

Now, I don't mean to knock any of you who take handouts from your parents... But here is my story.

When I was 22 and graduated from college, I was working in television news in Tucson. I made about $18,500 a year. (My hourly pay was about $9 an hour.) I had to have a second job waiting tables in the evenings and weekends at the Outback Steakhouse just to make sure I was comfortable and could afford my $550 rent.

When I moved to NYC at age 23, I gave my paid for car to my parents and said "Please just ship my stuff to me in Brooklyn." I had decided to take a job in public relations that paid $28,000. Each paycheck I got was about $800. My rent in Williamsburg was $800 a month. I didn't have any money saved... But used my credit card to buy groceries when needed. I didn't live a flashy lifestyle or carry expensive bags (like I do now.) But I lived mostly within my means, and I did it without help from mom and dad. Eventually I took a second job as a wedding planner on the weekends to help supplement my income. I was young and willing to work hard to buy plane tickets home and nice work clothes. Eventually, I was able to get my own place in Brooklyn near the subway.

But what is happening to today's youth? Seriously! If you have a college degree and are getting paid $30k year... Even in NYC you can do it on your own. You have to learn how to live on your own, without help from mom and dad, especially on a consistent basis. Hands here and there are okay... But every month?!?

Time to grow up people. It's called the real world. Learn to support yourself. Get a part time job. Start a blog and throw AdSense up on it. Wait tables one night a week.

Comments

Popular Posts