Chick Flick Movies = Painful Movies.

I love chick flicks. I will happily admit that. But I don't like the ones that seem to have the most popularity out there in the world with women.

This morning, I was on Boston.com reading one of the message boards from the past month, "What's Your Favorite Chick Flick?" And as I was reading through them, I found myself NOT agreeing with many of the movies listed. And that got me thinking what the appeal was with these movies. The ones that seemed to be getting the most "love" from the female fan-dom included the following:

The Notebook
- Okay. I Netflixed this film. I could only get through about 30 minutes of it before I turned it off. And I LOVE the two actors starring in the film (Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling.) Something just felt too "sappy" about it. I couldn't bear to keep watching.

High Fidelity - I don't know if this is even a chick flick. But could there be a more BORING film out there? Seriously, I love John Cusack. But his character is an asshole. And only a self destructive woman would go for a guy like that. And I have no sympathy for women who willing choose men like that.

The Sweetest Thing - Sweet Christ! So many people listed this as one of their favorite. Is it just me, or did this eff-ing movie even make sense to anyone? God help us! Christina Applegate should not be allowed to do movies. She sucks.

Dirty Dancing - I've hated this freaking movie since I was 10 (when it came out.) My whole family seems to love it. I can not stand it though. Maybe it's because I have never been attracted to Patrick Swayze? I don't know. I have been subjected to watching it many times in my life at various "Girls' Nights." Argh!

Fever Pitch - I can't believe someone had the audacity to put this one on the list. Sure, the story behind the movie is cool... Because the writer had to change the ending when the red Sox went and won the World Series. (Yay!) But other than that, the movie sucked ass. It was boring.

The Family Stone - Watching this movie was painful. I really don't think Sarah Jessica Parker should do movies. I love her on TV. (Hello? Sex and the City AND Square Pegs were AWESOME shows!) But in movies, she seems to be a complete "miss." And this movie was lame. She was a boring bi-atch. Why would we want to see a movie with someone who is a boring bi-atch?

So what would I recommend as "entertaining" chick flicks to watch? Here ya go...

Roman Holiday/Funny Face/Breakfast at Tiffany's/Sabrina - Yes... All four of these early flicks star the young Miss Audrey Hepburn and are wonderful and magical to watch. I wish movies today could still feel magical and romantic the way these did.

Mean Girls - Possibly one of the most well-written films ever! I am serious. Tina Fey did an AMAZING job capturing the crazy bitchy side of teen aged girls and how they terrorize each other. And Rachel McAdams and Lindsay Lohan do a fantastic job in the lead roles.

Bridget Jones's Diary - I hated the sequel to this film. But the first one was very good. Even better than the book, I might say.

Clueless - Again, a classic film where the writing is key to the overall like-ability of the film.

Sliding Doors - Yes. I liked this film. I don't know why though. The writing isn't particularly key. And the lead character doesn't do anything crazy.

Heathers - (Heh-heh.) Again, a great movie where the writing really makes the film. ("Eff me gently with a chainsaw! Do I look like Mother Theresa?") It's been nearly 20 years since this one came out. Yet, I can watch it today and totally think it is present day... Maybe it's the fashion coming back? But teenage girls, they really can be bitches to each other.

Comments

Popular Posts