Healthy Dish For The Weak: Mochi For Breakfast.

Oh... I have been far, far too busy in the new year to write about health dishes. I will get better though. I am shooting for writing about at least one a week.

(Promises, promises.)

The other day, while I did my usual stop at Whole Foods after evening Bikram, I saw something new on the shelves. It was something that I had tried finding there a while back... And they finally got it.

Mochi!


Mochi is a Japanese rice cake. It can be used for various things. I bought some after reading about various recipes in Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. So I decided to try some for breakfast.

It was easy to do. I heated a fry pan with a little bit of a healthy oil. Once it was warm, I dropped the mochi in and fried till it was puffy and crispy on the outside. The cube of brown rice spread out a little and grew quite a bit.

It smelled like pancakes. So I decided to drizzle some maple syrup on it.


Yum!

Comments

Bayjb said…
I love Mochi on frozen yogurt. I've never thought about having it for breakfast. Love it!
Lindy B said…
I just finished The Kind Diet and am adding all sorts of new things to my meals. Thanks for posting about this as I had no idea how to work with Mochi!!
-LB
Sarah S said…
I will die of happiness if I can find this at the Whole Foods here. I have been searching the city for years to get some (and the mochi ice cream at Trader Joes, while good, does not cut it!) - In Hawaii they had different flavors that you just ate raw. I want some. Now. Yumm....
Allie said…
I love Mochi! It has such a neat consistency. And no wheat!

Popular Posts