"Chick" Show For Guys?

So, I (as I am sure you have as well) seen those ads all over TV for that new show on TBS called "My Boys." It's about a 20/30-something female writer who lives in a big city and has trouble dating. The show includes a cast of close friend whose lives you get to peer into as well; and of course there are insightful voice-overs from the female lead character that help us viewers figure out what she is thinking as she rides the dating waves.

So, basically, it's "Sex and the City"... Only this female writer is a tomboy sports writer living in Chicago. And she has only one female friend. All the rest are guys. Guys who see her as "one of the guys." And it's not a bad show. But it definitely lags; for some reason I don't know. I will attempt to watch it again next Tuesday; as I am hoping that the first two episodes (which aired tonight) left me un-fullfilled because there is so much "set-up" to do in them. I mean, they have to introduce us to the lead character and all her friends. We have to believe that she could be a real person and we have to "buy-in" to the idea that she is who she says she is and lives her life the way she does. We also have to find some way to relate to her.

And maybe that's it... I don't relate to her. Not yet, anyway. I will keep watching; but for now, I see this as a "chick" show for guys. Meaning it's a "guy-friendly" version of "Sex and the City."

Comments

Anonymous said…
>Meaning it's a "guy-friendly" version of "Sex and the City."<

Speaking as a guy, I'd say this is an impossible task. The reasons "Sex and the City" is loved by women are the same reasons it is loathed by men.

Popular Posts