Help The Missus With A Canadian Career Choice.

So, in case you don't read my blog often...  (And why don't you???)  You may not know that for the past four years, a move to Toronto has been on the horizon for me.

I am currently in the final phases of acquiring all the approval I need to move to Toronto with my Canadian husband.  The moving date is not set yet...  Because in the event that I don't get everything I need, I can't move.  But things look very positive, and it should be Summer when I move up north. And that's only a few months off...

So now, I need to start thinking about what I want to do when I move up.  My company made it clear that they have no desire to work with me when I am up living in Canada.  And while I have had a few other search marketing avenues reach out to me to discuss possibilities... I just don't think I want to continue doing search marketing.

"Go work at an engine!" one person suggested to me.  Great idea... It certainly has a "sexiness" to it...  But I have read the online message boards...  It's "long hours and low pay."  I don't mind the low pay much... But I do mind the long hours.

"Go work at an agency!" another person suggested.  But I have already done that.  I just don't know if I could be useful at the agency-level.  I've already been an Assistant Director and headed up a search group at an agency.  "Been there, done that."  And also, this is long hours... Though the pay is better.

I am committed to my current job till the moment I step on the plane to Canada in the future... But, I think it's time to (again - because I did this before) open myself up to new career ideas suggested by my readers.  

Anyone have any ideas?  What do you think I could be good at? Outside of search marketing... Leave your ideas in the comments, pretty please!

Comments

That Girl! said…
I think you'd make a fantastic fashion, pop culture or food writer. Just puttin' it out there!
Anonymous said…
Could you sell keywords? A lot of people who have worked on the agency side find the transition to selling the search advertising an easy one to make. I think Yahoo! has an office in Toronto, not sure about Google.
Me said…
Well.. To be completely truthful... I could outsell anyone who currently sells keyword at Yahoo!... And Google does have a Toronto office. :)

I am not your typical sales/networking type of person though. I am very straightforward and very blunt. I can go into a marketing situation and tell you what will work and what won't, in terms of search marketing. I have an incredibly amazing real-life case study (from my current job) which showcases exactly what I can do...

But... I just don't think I would be fulfilled by the engine side. And I don't want long hours. I am now at a stage in my life where I love having a work-life balance (my current job spoils me!!!!)... I can't go back to long hours.

:)

Popular Posts