The Parallels Between My Office & Star Wars.

Well, it's not a surprise.  

After spending a few hours this weekend dissecting the similarities between the company I work(ed) for and the Star Wars series, it's not a shock to me that I was laid off today.  In fact, if anything, "congratulations" should really be in order.  

Why?  Well, first let me explain why I was laid off...

I was laid off because I made a nice salary and was a KEY part of the business (meaning: I made the company lots of money doing SEO and PPC), but because I let them know I would be moving to Toronto in Q2 of this year, they hired a team (yes, that's right, a TEAM of people) to replace me.  Well, to be fair, I hired them.  And they are all very good hires. Junior to me, but very good at their jobs.  And I let it be known a few months ago that if there were to be lay-offs in the upcoming quarters, it made more sense for me to go than anyone else.

So, no, I'm not at all mad about the lay-offs. I will write more about all of that, though, as soon as it is possible to do so.

So, "Why are 'congratulations' in order?"
  • It will be nice to have a consistent Internet connection during the day. Despite working for an Internet company, my Internet connection would "crap out" at least five times a day. Talk about "frustrating" when you're trying to change bids or do other necessary job things that require the Internet.
  • It will be nice to be able to view sites, like Google.com and FitSugar.com, again.  Because of the new filter they added to the Internet in our office, I couldn't (sometimes) log in to necessary websites.  (For work and for fun!) Yet, accessing PerezHilton.com was never a problem...  Or Twitter.  Or Facebook.
  • I don't have to listen to (what I feel are) moronic views on paid search strategy and SEO strategy.
  • I can sleep in every day.
  • I will have time to write those memoirs now for the writing project.
  • Yoga and gym? Every dang day!
  • Movies... Finally have time to see them all.
  • And more...
What does suck about it?
  • Well, to be honest... Daytime TV blows.  But at least that will keep me motivated.
  • I will have to cancel the European Vacation with Frogger.  Even though I had the money for the trip, I don't want to spend it on the trip now.  And Frogger really won't be able to take the time off work now as easily.
  • And, I left the office quite quietly.  I wasn't walked out or anything. Kind of disappointed that it ended that way.  Actually, not "kind of"... I am "very disappointed" that it ended that way. There were people I looked up to there.
Now I have plenty of time to figure out what my next career will be once I move up North.

Oh, and in case you were wondering...  In the dissection of Star Wars and my office, I was Princess Leah.  I was "leading the rebellion."  Personally, I wanted to be Yoda.  But Frogger and Bail said I was the Princess.

Comments

If my "employer" could talk I would have been let go years ago! At least you get a severance package!
widget said…
If daytime television was interesting no body would go to work......hope you get your writing after all the yoga. I'm about to start work after 2 months off. I'm going to miss my yoga.
Unknown said…
That's what the TiVo is for!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations.
One door closes....

~Tiann
Vanessa said…
Given all of that, I give a hearty congratulations! Now there is plenty of time to ponder the next employment opportunity too.

Popular Posts