Bikram Yoga - Metric Style.

So, I quietly began another 30-day Bikram yoga challenge yesterday. I say "quietly" because now that I have done a 60-day challenge, I really don't need to broadcast when I do a 30-day. Plus, I've now done six 30-day challenges. So there is no need to blog every day when in the challenge.

I am a "pro" at the 30-day challenge.

Anyway... I like to regularly take the Tuesday 6pm class, even when I am not doing a challenge. It is taught by a young new-ish teacher who has really found her voice when it comes to teaching. She has wonderful energy, doesn't mess around, and really pushes us.

"I want to see you all coming in and out of the postures together tonight," she said at the start of class. "No coming into them late. You fall out, you get right back in."

I am used to her commands and her cadence now, having had her for a few weeks. But one thing that she does that still throws me off...

She uses the metric system.

Now, I know I am in Canada now... And they prefer that "metric system thingie." But I still have a hard time comprehending the calculations... Kilometers... Celsius... Centimeters...

And it's that last one which gets thrown around in a Bikram class with this teacher.

"Separate your feet 15 centimeters, like the letter 'H'," she says.

"What?" I think. "What the fuck is a centimeter? Don't you mean separate them six inches?"

Because that is how Bikram teaches it, people. And that is how they taught it in Amsterdam and Melbourne, when I took classes there earlier this year.

I have been practicing nearly five years now, so of course it doesn't really throw me off to hear her say this. I know the dialogue. I know what the space between my feet and knees is supposed to be...

But the whole "metric system thingie" is something that will take a long time to adapt to. In and out of the Bikram studio.

Comments

thedancingj said…
HAH! That is so hilarious and weird. Does she do that for the separate leg postures, too? "Right foot step to the right, ___ meters?" I wouldn't even know what to do!!!
Duffy Pratt said…
Isn't Bikram that weird form of yoga where the room is heated to like 42 degrees???
Me said…
LOL! J, she DOES use meters then too! "separate your leg one and shalt meters.".

Duffy: it IS that yoga that isfine 42degree temps! So cold! Opposite of"hot yoga.". LOL!
bikramyogachick said…
I am soooo with you on that! Metric system would for sure be hard to get used to!
Jen said…
Welcome to Canada eh!?

I'm looking forward to following your journey... even though you are a pro! ;)
So funny! Thanks for sharing. That would throw me off too. Or make me start laughing. Congrats on your mastery of the challenges! Have you heard yet of the 101 ? I think it is the brainchild of one bikramyogachick who also commented...

you doing it?
http://bikram101.blogspot.com/
Me said…
Yep! It is actually a creation of Bikram Yoga Chick, Dancing J and myself. I am the one who put the blog together. We are so excited to begin!!! Only three days left till we start!!!
oh cool! oh wow. wow! LOL me telling you about your own creation does constitute a hearty laugh and a definite sign from the universe that I should participate! I just met dancingj in the beloved Boston studio too! What a small and amazing world! LOVE the bikram community. THANK YOU for your role in it. everyone that knows it is talking about 101!
Me said…
Oh I miss Boston!!! I moved from there about seven months ago! I practiced at the Back Bay location. I miss the teachers there!!!

Popular Posts