"I Don't Really Like This Music..."

So... I know I haven't written a lot about my new jobbie-thingie. It seems like back when I was working for my last company, I had funny things to note every week.

Well, this job is different.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of funny people there. I just don't happen to sit next to them. Nope, unlike the open plan at my last job (where everyone sat at desks with laptops) this company has me sitting in an office.

Yes. I have finally navigated my way back into an office.

When I started my professional career 10 years ago, I had my own office. I was working in TV news, and I was in a big office by myself. I even had a TV in there that had a live feed of whatever was on the air. I got hooked on Martha Stewart Living, Days of Our Lives, Passions... As I worked for an NBC affiliate. I hated being in an office then because I felt "out of the loop." After I left that job and moved to NYC, it was "desk city" for me from then on. Occasionally I would get a whole cubicle to myself, but never an office. And now, I am back in one.

I guess I am all grown up?

Anyhow, my point is: I don't sit near the funny people. (Funny-looking... Funny-personality... Fun-to-make-fun-of...) Or so I thought.

I was in my office this afternoon when my my boss (who I like to call "El Jefe" - which is Spanish for "The Chief") started playing some music from his laptop. At first it was just background noise. I didn't really pay attention to it. But then I started to recognize it, and it made me cringe...

It was "Rico Suave."

"Eww!" I thought. I then hopped into a chat window and made both Bail and Frogger (Boston friends) aware of my situation.

"My boss is playing 'Rico Suave' on his computer," I told them. "And I don't know if he is doing it because he actually likes the song, or if he is trying to be funny and get a reaction out of me."

They both found my situation fascinating. Even more so when the song that came on after "Rico..." was Kriss Kross's "Jump!"

"The daddy-mac 'll make ya jump-jump!" I typed to them.

They were really hoping it was his taste in music, so that I would have something quirky to write about my El Jefe, like I used to with Mr. Sports (my previous boss).

A few minutes later, as Haddaway's "Baby Don't Hurt Me" began to emit from his machine, he yelled from his office into mine that the music I was hearing was from a funny mix he had downloaded out of curiosity.

Allegedly, he had heard "Rico Suave" played on a talk radio station he listens to as he drives to work in the mornings. They played a piece of it and discussed how it was the "worst song ever written." When he got into work, he researched the song online. He found a list that said, "If you like this song, you'll like all these others too."

And that is how he allegedly came up with his playlist for work today.

I don't know if I believe him.

Comments

Zoe Doe said…
This cracked me up more than you can imagine. I have a friend I call "Rico Suave" simply because he reminds me of Gerardo. I'm putting you on my Blogroll.

Popular Posts