Autumn Staples.

It is still gloriously beautiful outside. I know many people in this part of North America feel like we were cheated out of Summer... But really, I enjoyed the weather immensely. It has been mostly sunny and in the mid-70s since late June. But now I realize that Fall is just around the corner up here in Canada. And that means it is time to think about my Autumn Staples.

Some people like to stick up for cold weather by purchasing bread, potatoes, meats, pastas, etc... I like to stock up by buying coffee and clothes. So here are the type of things I am looking to scoop up over the next few weeks to get me through till January. (Which is when I will have to deal with Winter.)

OTK Riding Boots


OTK is short for "Over-The-Knee." I prefer riding boots that come close to, if not just over, the knee. I hate when boots cut you off mid-calf. It often makes your calves look bigger than they actually are.


Ballet Flats



I bought mine last weekend, in black. But I am very close to going back and picking up a pair in "Grapewine." I love them. They look great with tights too.


TIGHTS! AND LEGGINGS!



Ugh... Okay, I know I dissed American Apparel over Twitter a few weeks back. But they are a great place to pick up leggings and tights. Black leggings under dresses are huge right now. It's like it's 1986 and I am back in fourth grade... Rocking the leggings under huge sweatshirts and miniskirts. (I also wore a side ponytail a lot. Perhaps I should consider that too?... No? Well, screw you and your opinion any damn way!)


Skinny Jeans



If you are not already following Jean Therapy on Twitter, you should be. The owner Tweeted a very generous 25% off discount code last week - which was good for only the first 10 people - and I snagged myself a pair of Raven Denim Remy Skinny Jeans in Koop Indigo. They are fabulous and will look amazing tucked into the riding boots or with flats. Shit, I could even wear platforms with these. Despite my opposition to them a few years ago, skinny jeans are incredibly versatile. And you can't let the fact that you have a bum and curves sway you from considering skinny jeans. When styled appropriately, they look great on nearly everyone, not just those with thighs that don't touch.


White Blouse



I love white blouses. I wear them weekly. Right now, I won three. All are short-sleeved. They are perfect for the "Androgyness Chic"/"Masculin Feminin" look I have loved for the past few years. They can be vampy and sexy, unbuttoned with a cami showing form the top. Or, they can be paired with a dorky sweater vest-which is a look I wear very often. And let's not forget that they are amazing under suit jackets. My most recent one was purchased at Jacob, an inexpensive trendy store here in Toronto.


Wellies



I bought my Hunter Wellies last Winter for a killer $53 from the Tannery on Boylston (in Boston). At the recommendation of Yummy Mummy, I also picked up wellie-socks. Rain, snow, slush... These are perfect for that. Forget about Uggs. They protect you from nothing. And your feet will end up soaking form all the water that seeps into them, as they are not water-proof. (Unless you spend a good amount of time spraying them with the water-proofing spray.)


Cashmere, Dahling!



I don't know why this is.... But I just seem to be obsessed with ruffles lately. And J. Crew has these ruffled v-neck cashmere sweaters, which are PERFECT for Fall and Spring.

I have my eyes on a few other things too. But for now, these are the things I am going to be using this Autumn.

Comments

Good post! I am thinking similar things for this fall as well.
And I just love Jacob for essentials and inexpensive trendy pieces. It was disappointing when it closed in Natick earlier this year, but I had a blast shopping at the flagship store in Montreal last weekend.
Bonnie said…
Nice picks.

Have you been to Over the Rainbow in Yorkville? I miss it!
Bayjb said…
Great picks. I can't wait to bring out my riding boots and wear the new leggings I got. They are so comfy
Thanks for the post!

Question - not sure if you'll have any info - but I've always had a hard time with boots that come up over my calves. I've got somewhat large calves and was wondering if you know of any brands that accomodate those of us with this issue?
Catherine said…
I agree on all counts. I've been staring at my boots in the closet and although I can't bring myself to wear them yet (trying to squeeze in couple more days of sandals).
Anonymous said…
oh my gosh, i need some over the knee boots, stat.
Anonymous said…
i need some over the knee boots, like, stat.
Great job narrowing down all the must haves! OTK boots and wellies are a serious must. Also LOVE american apparel leggings and skinny jeans! White shirt and cashmere? Check! It's no wonder we are such good friends!!! Love this post!

xoxo
ym

Popular Posts