"She Must Have Some Weird OCD Thing..."

About three weeks ago, I officially started my new job.

Yes, I am back working in the agency world after I swore nearly three years ago that I would never return to it. I believe I said something to the effect of...

"I will fucking work at fucking McDonald's or pan-handle like the Spare Change Guy before I go back to ever working for another fucking agency again."

Well, I am eating my words. I left my last job in January. And I tried doing the following things while on my hiatus:
  • Being a non-working wife. (I was so freaking bored. One can only do so much yoga and hanging out at Starbucks to write. And there aren't enough books worth reading. And Daytime TV really sucks.)
  • Be a freelance search marketer. (It's just not the same when you are doing it on your own every day. I need an office to go to. I need other people around to bother with inane stuff. And The Husband got tired of me sending him emails all day when I was online working at home.)
  • Studying for Bikram Yoga Teacher Training. (I have a copy of the dialogue, even though I am not supposed to - Shh!!. I got through Awkward pose with memorization on my own.)
Honestly, if we had stayed in Boston, I probably could have "hung in there" and been a non-working wife. By the time we moved to Toronto, I had established a pattern and adjusted. I still had all of my friends (working and non-working) to keep up with. I didn't feel left out from the world. But moving to Toronto, that was another thing...

I quickly realized I needed a job. Not so much because the money would come in handy. More because I was new to this city and felt that I wasn't ready to be done with the "power & earning" portion of my life.

"I knew you couldn't stay away," said Mr. Sports, my former boss, when I asked him for a recommendation for my job. "You like doing what you do."

He was right, as were many others who said I would be back to working sooner than I expected. I thought I was done for good, but I was wrong. An opportunity popped up out of nowhere, and within a week of interviewing, I had an offer to return to the agency world.

"It's worth giving it a shot," said The Husband. "This is Canada. It can't be as bad as it was in Boston. Agencies here will probably know what they are doing. And you won't be surrounded by assholes like at the last agency. People here are nicer. Plus, having a career-history in Canada would be wise to establish."

"All very good points," I thought.

So I accepted my offer and started back in August. And I have been busy ever since. It is the main reason why I haven't written much here lately. The work has been going so well and my clients have been so engaged that I am incredibly busy.

And the people I work with? Well, they couldn't be nicer. And some couldn't be funnier. And they are all very dedicated - or so it seems. Doesn't appear to be a terrible ego in the bunch. The location of the office is ideal for me. The hours are good - despite my being so busy. The career path is promising. We even get pizza every other Friday. Oh - and there's a Starbucks right next door. (It's the little things with me.)

Nope. Nothing bothers me about the new job. Except for the chick who I see in the bathroom every afternoon, scrubbing her hands for five minutes with soapy water.

Seriously, who washes their hands for five minutes? She has got to have some weird OCD thing. And very dry hands.

Comments

Vanessa said…
I saw that you had started a new job that wasn't Bikram. I'm so glad it's working out for you. You really are good at what you do.
Me said…
Thanks Vanessa! I will get to BKTT in the next few years though... Just have to resave some $$$ again.
bikramyogachick said…
I personally love that you have to "eat your words" because it shows incredible maturity. You did what was best for you at the time, and are now doing it again under changed circumstances. Following the voice of your true self.
And I KNOW you will go to TT someday. I will too! Positive thoughts!
Oh, and who washes their hands for FIVE minutes! Add up all of the time she spends washing her hands.....tee hee.
Michelle
Yay for you on the job front - I often think that I would like to not work, ,or do something non-office, but I too need the structure and interation. So now I'm trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up (by growing up, I mean 'turn 40').

As for the hand washing - apparently, here at my work, we have a guy who washes for nearly 10 minutes at a time. Guys go in to the restroom - there he is washing - they do their business (full credit business from what I've been told) and wash up and leave - and HE'S STILL THERE washing and washing. That's got to be tough.

Popular Posts