Nostalgia: Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth" Perfume.

My first foray into perfumes as a child was with my Tinkerbell collection my Mum bought me one day while at a department store. It didn't smell particularly good, but as a little seven year old, I loved the idea of dabbing on a scent and feeling grown up.

I was only ever allowed to wear it at home, though. Never out in public.

By the time I was 12, I was yearning for all kinds of mature things:
  • Make-up (Had to wait till I was in 8th grade for that! And even then, I wasn't allowed to wear eyeliner or mascara!)...
  • Dating (Had to wait till high school)...
  • A job (By law, this had to wait till I was 16)...
But even though I had to wait on all the above things, I was allowed to wear perfume at 12. Every day, if I wanted. And my perfume of choice was Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth."


I am not sure if Debbie Gibson is ever given credit for helping advance the "celebrity fragrance" movement. The only other "celebrity-created" fragrance I can think of prior to this is anything by Elizabeth Taylor.

"Electric Youth" was perfect for a "tweener." It had a tutti-frutti smell to it, and the liquid was hot pink. And in middle school, we liked to douse ourselves with this stuff. You could easily identify its notes as someone walked past you in the halls between classes.

But the popularity of it came and went very quickly. It died along with Debbie's second album, also titled "Electric Youth." And "lost" to history, it was.

I would love to get my hands on a bottle today. I would wear it, just for fun! Would you?

Comments

Bex said…
I LOVED Electric Youth in my "tweens" and wore it everyday!

I swear I saw a bottle of this at CVS recently, too...
Me said…
SHUT UP!

Argh!!!! I doubt we have it up here in Canada! DAMN!
I will always remember my tweener perfume: Fetish. It was SOOOOO popular in 1998! I found a tiny bottle a few years ago and smelled it -- and I was immediately back in the eighth grade, playing piano in jazz band. Love how some scents can transport you.
Jen said…
Electric Youth, feel the power, you see the energy :) Loved it!
Bayjb said…
Oh my gosh I totally remember this. Such a great choice. Who didn't love Debbie Gibson?
Me said…
Bastards. That's who.
Nicholle said…
I was intrigued by your post. Loved the Electric Youth! Totally had forgot about it, so I searched in eBay! Check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/DEBBIE-GIBSON-Cologne-Spritz-Spray-ELECTRIC-YOUTH-1-6oz_W0QQitemZ250484592790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a520b9096&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Now the question is would you wear it for $30 some odd dollars? :)
Anonymous said…
There's a fan page on facebook now too! :)
jpebriangibson said…
Bath and body works coconut signature vanillas IS THE SAME STUFF! I SWEAR! GET SOME ! I CAN'T STOP WEARING IT

Popular Posts