Driving Backwards.

I love analyzing dreams. My own, or the ones of others. I believe your body sends you messages about what it is going through in your dreams. I've written about my own dreams many times in the past. Usually I can easily guess what my body is trying to tell me. But right now, I am confused.

I had a dream that I don't understand.

I am in a car. I am backing it out of the garage and turning right, so that I can drive off wherever it is I am wanting to go. But instead of breaking and moving the car from "Reverse" into "Drive," I keep going backwards. Fast.

I can't seem to get my foot to the break so that I can switch gears. I am trying to reach my leg down to press on the brake, but my leg is pinned by the wheel and dashboard right where it is. And I can only reach the gas.

I think about allowing myself to run into a house or building with the car, just to get it to stop.

Then, I woke up.

Obviously, as I have dissected for many people in the past, dreams about driving represent you on your current path in life. If you are the one doing the driving, you are the one in control of your life.

Dreams about going in reverse (or "backwards") represent setbacks and counter-productivity.

Brakes in dreams represent the ability to "slow down"... But since I can't seem to reach them in the dream, I can't slow down.

I don't understand what my mind is trying to tell me. I'm steering my life in a way that is counter-productive? If anything, my life seems to be more productive than it has been in a really long time.

If I'm not supposed to be here, where am I supposed to be?

Comments

Kimberley said…
I love this kind of stuff too.

Maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you that Bikram teacher training was the right course for you and now you are moving further away from that. Probably a total reach considering all I know about you is from the blog! ;)

I dreamed last night that I had a date with Alan Alda and he stood me up. Even more disturbing, I was wearing a corduroy jumper and a turtleneck. I have no idea what's going on with that one!
Me said…
I thought about that too... But as soon as I realized money was too tight for TT this fall, a good job opportunity popped up for me. One that will allow me to save for TT very quickly.

So I don't think it is the loss of TT for now that is the "setback." I think it is something else. And I don't know what.

It sounds like you are regressing to childhood crush you had on Alan Alda. Were you born in the 70s? Did you watch MASH on tv? Did your parents dress you in cod jumpers and turtlenecks?
Duffy Pratt said…
Reminds me of the Elvis Costello song, from the Get Happy album:

Five gears in reverse
For girls looking at the big lift
Somebody send out for the night nurse
Please don’t stick me on the late shift
If you don’t know by now
Nobody’s gonna tell you
If you don’t know by now
The shock will probably kill you

But if your patience is corrupted and you still cannot decide
You’re sitting in the garage contemplating suicide
And you have no motivation you can’t even catch your breath
All of this acceleration is driving you to death

Five gears in reverse
You think I don’t know what I’m doing
Another fashionable first
Like walking down the road to ruin
But if you’re safe and sound
Don’t let me interrupt you
And if you’re gagged and bound
Well how can I corrupt you
thedancingj said…
WEIRD, dude... I had a vivid driving dream like 2 nights ago, where I was backing out of my driveway and driving down my street in a car that I couldn't steer. And I rarely remember my dreams.
Me said…
LOL! Your dream is easy for me to dissect J... You feel like you aren't in true control of your life. Something else is guiding it right now. Which is a little true. School and acadamia is guiding your life for the next year in a large part.

With mine, my subconcious appears to be telling me I am regressing. But I din't know with regards to what so I can change it.
Mei said…
Was about to say TT, but Kimberly beat me to it.

:)

I still feel that you should be here with us, though!

Popular Posts