"Never Use Non-Bank ATMs."

Ah... The joys of trying to be a contentious consumer and still getting ripped off in some way!


I went to the bank this morning, first thing. My bank was great. It took about 30 minutes to get paperwork filled out and get me a new card with a new pin. They said the money should be back in my account by the end of next week.

I did have to answer a lot of security questions while there. And they were able to tell me exactly where the cash withdrawals took place. So they know it wasn't me pulling the money out.

So, you're probably wondering how this even happened... Since my physical card wasn't stolen, and I have never shared my pin with anyone. Well...

It seems that there is a scam involving non-bank ATMs. You know, the type you see in convenience stores? Anyhoo... I use those from time to time, when I am too lazy to go to an actual bank ATM.

Problem is, those ATMs are independently owned. Which means they can be owned by crooks. Crooks who install internal scanners and cameras to capture your name, card number and pin as you are typing it into the machine. They then sell your information to various online buyers who them duplicate your card and go crazy around town withdrawing cash.

I have used these types of machines a few times since moving to Toronto. And that is probably how this happened. So lesson learned:

Only use bank-affiliated ATMs. Never use the random ones you see at convenience stores or other businesses.

Comments

Nichole M said…
Thank you very much for the information. I had no idea the thieves were so crafty. Wonder what they could accomplish if they put that much thought and effort into something LEGAL. sigh.
Lindy B said…
Wow - Missus. Thank you for sharing this information. I had no idea. Since I still use a bank in Maine, I have used these from time to time, like you, when it's more convenient. I won't be doing so anymore, however! That's pretty scary that some scam artist could own an ATM out there. Knowing this now, I have no problem giving BofA, for example, my ATM fees! :-)

Popular Posts