They Just Aren't The Same.

My good friends, Frogger and Bail, tried to mail me some Cheez-Its today from Boston. They hit a roadblock in their kind efforts...

I am sorry to tell you, Missus, that UPS would not let me send you Cheez-Its without insuring them for at least $250. Apparently, US does this w/ food so that when the foreign customs department rips through the boxes and steals the food (which, apparently, happens often), the US is not liable for the loss. While I do love Cheez-Its, and I want to provide you with all the comforts of your American home, I can think of a lot of things I can do with $250.

However, I have two boxes of Cheez-Its and I will give Bail a box, and the two of us will eat the Cheez-Its together and
toast to you... probably with a few bottles of wine that when added up will total close to $250.

I appreciate that they tried. But for the love of Sweet Baby Jesus on Christmas morning... Why the hell are they not available here???

In all my sadness, I walked to the Whole Foods to get some veggies for dinner. And I saw these on the "cracker aisle."


I brought them home, poured a glass of red wine, and tried a few.

"Eww!"

They just aren't the same as the real thing.

Oh Canada.

Comments

L.Z. said…
Your frustration is totally understandable - some foods just cannot be replaced! Isn't UPS so pesky with some of their regulations? Hope you are able to get some Cheez-Its soon...
Min/El said…
Just an idea to help you out in your "cheezy" ordeal (lol!), Amazon carries them...perhaps you could have them shipped that way? Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheez-Baked-Crackers-Calorie-6-Count/dp/B000AYDGGG
Anonymous said…
Have you tried Cheese-Nips? I think they are the Canadian version of Cheese-its. http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/Products/A-C/CheeseNips.aspx
Me said…
I have tried Cheese Nips. We have them in the States. They are awful, compared to Cheez-Its. Cheez-Its have a wonderful salty golden cheese flavor. And they are incredibly crispy.

Cheese Nips are more dense. And they don't crisp well. And the cheese flavor doesn't make your mouth instantly warm.

Min/El: Unfortunately, Amazon can not ship these to the Great White North. When I tried to check out online with them, I got the following message:
"Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers 100 Calorie Right Bites, 6-Count Boxes (Pack of 6) cannot be shipped to the selected address."
Anonymous said…
Missus I know you love skulls, so I thought you might be interested in this.. http://bagbunch.com/treesje-mortale-clutch-little-black-bag-with-a-gothic-twist/

Sorry about your lack of Cheez-Its!!
bikramyogachick said…
Darn it! That sucks! What good friends for trying though. In solidarity with the missus I hearby state that I will stay away from cheez-it's until the end of the year! :)
I actually never eat them, but after reading this post they sound good.
Nichole M said…
Holy crap... $250?!? So I guess the next time you venture south, you'll have to drive, pack in your usual compact fashion, and STUFF the car with as many boxes of Cheez-it's as it will hold.

And if you don't want to eat that many, maybe you'll be able to find your niche on the black market?
Oh how I feel your pain. Unsatisfiable food pangs are awful.

I myself dream about Gardetto's on a regular basis.
Frogger said…
Bail and I will smuggle Cheez-Itz into Canada - you know we will! Come hell or high water, I will get you Cheez-Itz.
Dan said…
Red wine with those? Hmm. They may have tasted better with spiked eggnog.

Popular Posts