When I Grow Up, I Want To Be Tavi Gevinson.

When I was 13, the year was 1990. Madonna was Vogue-ing. MC Hammer was rocking the harem pants. Vanilla Ice was about to have us "stop... collab-o-rate and listen..." And I was all about spending hours in my room listening to Wilson Phillips and Def Leppard. (Yes, I had random music taste.)

These were my style inspirations. Madonna's black and white "Vogue" video inspired me to redecorate my bedroom in black and white. I owned a pair (or two) of MC Hammer "harem" pants. I began to style my bangs high to compete with guys working the "Vanilla Ice" height hair, while competing with Def Leppard's band members for AquaNet usage. Most of the my day-to-day clothing creations (leggings, sweaters, vests and floral dresses) at that age were ripped from what I saw WP wearing.

This was how I expressed myself at 13. I did NOT have a blog. I did NOT ever think about picking up a pen and writing. I did NOT find fashion particularly interesting. I took the world in and responded without thinking. But had the Internet been around and accessible at that time, I'd like to think I would have had a little Tavi Gevinson in me.

Oh... Don't know who she is? Well, you should.

Tavi is the "Style Rookie." Though, I feel she is far from "rookie" and more advanced when it comes to personal style than most of us.

Tavi is 13 years old. (THIRTEEN!) And already, she has the public profile and fashion "cred" that most of us (more than twice her age) would love to have. Her blog is a peek at style and fashion from her young eyes. And many of us out here on the Intertubez love reading her take on things. So many of us, in fact, she has already been invited to Fashion Week AND reviewed the Rodarte for Target collection for Style.com.

LUCKIEST 13 YEAR OLD EVER!

Tavi is a style inspiration to me. You need to check out her blog.

Comments

That blog is awesome!
Me said…
I know, right? Hard to believe it is written by a 13 year old.
It's unbelievable! I will never be that cool!

Popular Posts