There Are No Cheez-Its In The Great White North.

Oh holy hell!

I thought I had done thorough research before moving to Canada. They had universal health care, easier access to Taco Bell and Arby's for me, a new Bikram studio for me to practice at... Pretty much all the things I care about most. But I overlooked one thing.



Every six months (usually) I get a craving for the golden crispy cheese-flavored snack crackers. Since moving to Toronto, I hadn't craved them... Until yesterday, when I was dealing with my fraud issue.

I wanted a comfort food... And since university, these have always been a comfort food for me. Eaten only when I was really stressed out.

I went to a few different stores today to try to find them. And was really confused that I couldn't find them anywhere. I mean, as my brother J likes to joke, "Canada is USA-junior. You have everything we have... We just had it first." (Except for universal health care.)

So why the eff was I not finding my Cheez-Its????

Well, turns out they aren't distributed up here.

FUCK ME!

And before you dare even suggest it... No I can not substitute Goldfish Crackers (which they do carry up here) for the Cheez-Its. First of all, that is blasphemy... And you should go straight to the deepest pits of fiery hell for even thinking such a thing. Second, everyone knows Goldfish Crackers are for people with gentle taste buds... Like children. They are not meant for adults.

Oh woes me!

Comments

Chris Wight said…
Holy though they may be, is there a generic alternative? Lord knows there are generic Cheez-Its State-side.

Say the word, and I'll send a Cheez-It care package once a quarter (it is just comfort food after all).

PS- Miss you lots. Although it seems the great white north is treating you fairly well.
thedancingj said…
WORST NEWS EVER!

NOTHING is a substitute for Cheezits.

Though I went off them for a few days when I got overexcited and ate half the box like an hour before Bikram. Bad idea, for future reference. I told my teacher "I ATE TOO MANY CHEEZITS I HATE MYSELF" She laughed her ass off and called me Cheezit all night.
Lindy B said…
I was just talking about CheezIts with someone yesterday. Yum yummy - I used to put them in salads. What a shame they aren't distributed there - what the hell?? We should all overnight some to you! :-)
April Elizabeth said…
try amazon. i bet theyll ship to canada
April Elizabeth said…
http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Cheez-Crackers-lb-box/dp/B001DCEFSC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1260029778&sr=8-2
Allie said…
Aw! Nothing like not being able to find the comfort food you need! Sorry to hear it!
sandy said…
"and since university..."

just curious why you use that term instead of "and since college". you did grow up and go to school in the US, right? using the word "university" in that context seems more canadian or british.

regardless, i love reading your blog.
Me said…
I use "university" out of habit now that I am in Canada. "College" up here means something completely different. When you go to a "4-year" institution where you are educated on theory is what "university" refers to. When you go to a school that teaches you applied studies, that is "college."

In the states, "university" refers to a school that has a certain number of colleges within it... "College of Fine Arts" at the University of Arizona is what I graduated from... In the US, "college" and "university" actually mean the same thing. Up here though, you would never refer to it as "having gone to college" if you had your bachelors degree.

So I always refer to it as "university" now. Also, since I did go to an actual university.
Fertility Chick said…
Ha! I just discovered this post when I was on my own (fruitless) search for Cheez-its in Canada. Brought back 2 boxes from my recent trip to the States and so help me, I'm going through withdrawl.
Anonymous said…
Being Canadian myself, I've never tried Cheez-Its but I would imagine they taste something like Swiss Cheese crackers. Link: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/products/a-c/christiesnackingcrackers.aspx
Unknown said…
I'm obsessed with cheeze it's!! I always stock up when I'm in the US. We do have a cracker almost identical called cheese nips!!!! Same shape, size, flavor, color, only thing is they have salted tops and not the dusting of cheese that cheese it's have!! Soo good!! And only
One flavor to choose from. Cheese.

Popular Posts