Adventures in Jean Shopping. (Designer Jeans in a Size 34???)

I had a very educational afternoon last week when I was in Kenmore Square.... I went to Jean Therapy to just browse. While I was there, another woman was shopping for jeans. She was telling the shop owner about how some jeans don't fit her properly after she wears them a few times.

The shop owner, being the denim guru she is, asked her "How do you wash them?"

The woman said she washed them in the machine (good) and then threw them in the dryer (BAD!).

As soon as the woman said "Dryer," the shop owner and I screeched out, "NO!!!!!"

The shop owner laughed at me and said that I had obviously been taught correctly that you are supposed to "AIR DRY" your jeans.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put them in the dryer.

It messes with the shape of the jeans. Jeans are like elastic. They fall closely back to their initial size when you wash them, and then you wear them a few times and stretch them out. Eventually, the "elasticity" quality of the denim wears out; and you need to buy a new pair.

Well, after this episode, I was talking the shop owner about Paige Denim (my favorite brand of jeans.) And I had no idea that Paige Denim offers them up to a size 34! I thought the largest size was 32, which is what I buy. Designer jeans always feel like they run smaller, so it's in my nature to always want a bigger size. Well, once I knew Paige Denim offers sizes 33 and 34, I asked the shop owner if she had any in stock to try on. She looked me up and down and said I didn't need that size; that even the 32s maybe a bit bigger than what she would recommend for me.

"You want to buy jeans in a tight fit," she said. "They will stretch out to fit."

Well, I'm not ready to give up my 32s for a smaller size. But I am curious to see how a 34 would fit. Even if I don't need the larger size, it's nice to know there is an option for it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ohmigosh, I did spot the Missus! I didn't know that was you. Sorry, I'm the pushy one at the store always encouraging people to try on new things and always trying to get them into tighter jeans! My employees are a little bit more nurturing "therapists" and I tend to be more tough love. I tend to believe that 99% of our customers are use to buying their jeans too big. People seem to think they are bigger than they truly are, esp. when it comes to jeans. If I had to eyeball, I really would say a '30 or perhaps a '31 waist would be much better. I hope you weren't offended that I thought/think you need a smaller size. Of course, the "right" size is always the one that you feel the best in!

Speaking of new, Paige will be introducing a new style called the "Rising Glen"...it's a high, high, high rise and debuts at the end of December. Very fashion forward, not for everyone but def. worth a shot esp. if Paige works well for you :)

In any event, it was nice to meet you!
Leah@Jean Therapy

PS. that new customer did end up buyng the Paiges in a smaller size! She was so sweet and we tried many things on her that day!

Popular Posts