What's Your Poison?

New Year's Eve is only a few days away... And before you get your "celebration" on, you really need to choose your "poison" of choice for the evening. (Because we all know what happens when you mix your beer, wine and liquor in the wrong combination!)

In general, beyond the New Years celebration festivities, you should have a drink that is your signature "go-to" drink. For my husband, it's a gin and tonic (preferably with Bombay Sapphire gin.) For another friend of mine, he prefers martinis. Another friend of mine prefers dark rum drinks. Another friend of mine used to have a taste for espresso martinis... Till she got violently ill on them.

For me though, my drink of choice evolves every few years:

At 21, it was Hornsby Cider Beer, then Midori Sours, then Margaritas. (Things that don't taste like alcohol.)
At 22, it was Riesling wine and Tom Collins (gin and sweet and sour.)
At 23, I was poor and living in Brooklyn. I preferred Guinness (warm), Stoli Vanilla with Diet Coke and Shiraz wine.
At 24, I didn't really drink much. But if I did, it was Shiraz wine, Sapphire and Tonic or a Margarita.

And my tastes pretty much have stayed the same since. Although, I have replaced the Sapphire and Tonic with a Manhattan; and I have also added Prosecco to the list.

It's good to have a drink in each "genre" of alcohol that you can go to, depending on which "alcohol venue" you are at.

For example, if you are at the local pub down the street, you probably wouldn't order a glass of Shiraz. You'd order a beer. If you were at a fancy restaurant, you're more likely to go with the hard liquors and wine. But if you're on vacation at the beach, you're gonna want the margarita, or a Mexican or Caribbean beer. (You wouldn't ask for a glass of wine or a gin and tonic at the beach.)

For New Year's celebrations, the poisons are likely to be sparkling wines (like Champagne or Prosecco) and hard liquors. For me, my husband and I are going to dinner at my favorite restaurant in the city (Sibling Rivalry.) I will probably start dinner with a Manhattan and switch to a glass of water while eating. After dinner, we will probably celebrate with a wee bit of Prosecco.

What's your poison????

Comments

Anonymous said…
wonder who that espresso martini friend is...hmmm ...poor thing getting so sick...i bet she sticks to safer less sugary drinks now...much better plan

:-)

Popular Posts