The Hallmark of a Great Show: The Theme Song.

I have developed a some-what accurate theory behind foreseeing whether or not a television show will actually last throughout a viewing season... How good the theme song is.

Think about it; throughout TV history, many of the most successful TV shows have had very appealing theme songs. Including:

The A-Team
Happy Days
Knight Rider
Miami Vice
Magnum P.I.
Cheers
Friends
The Simpsons
MASH (Even though I've never watched a full episode of it.)
Gilmore Girls (Confession: I can't not watch this show without singing the theme song OUT LOUD. My husband, for some reason, hates this show.)

My theory is that if a theme song/theme tune is catchy the first time I ever hear it; the show will last at least one full season before getting cancelled. It's the first introduction to a show that a viewer has; and it is CRITICAL. In fact, I think more thought needs to go into those opening musical bars than to (perhaps) the content of the first episode.

Why am I devoting precious blog space to this topic? Well, because I am still torn over whether or not I really like the new TBS show "My Boys."

The writing of the show is pretty decent; despite all the references to baseball. (Which I find to be an extremely boring sport.) But the theme tune of the show sucks. There's nothing catchy or memorable about it.

The writing in the show is quite funny though. Maybe I can overlook the fact that there is nothing for me to sing out loud to or hum to?

Comments

Popular Posts