Travel Must-Haves.

I have two long flights ahead of me in the next 48 hours.  And when I say, "Long," what I really mean is, "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!"

Now, I am a excellent flier.  I show up early to the airport.  I check-in quickly.  I make it through security efficiently.  I board when called (and not a moment sooner - bitches!)  I find my seat quickly.  I throw my luggage in the space above my seat THE CORRECT WAY (wheels in first, dumbasses!)  And I settle in for the flight.  I only get up to go to the bathroom when the person next to me gets up, making it more efficient to get out of the row.  I rarely accept anything from the flight attendants (only HOT water).  I don't make messes.  I clean up any trash I make.  I don't hog the armrests. I don't need drugs to make me calm or sleep on planes.

Hell... Sometimes I don't even recline my seat, because I don't want to mess with the person's space behind me.

However, despite being a good flier, I still have needs on flights.  Things that I must have with me to easily be comfortable.  These include:
  • Moisturizer - For my hands and my face.  It's dry at the high altitudes.  You need moisturizer.  I wash my face before I get on the flight.  And I reapply moisturizer as needed.
  • Ginger Tea Bags - I won't take anything but madly hot water from flight attendants most of the time on domestic flights.  And I want to stay hydrated, so I bring my own tea bags on board. Caffeine-free tea bags.
  • iPod - I like to load mine with episodes of This American Life.  And I even have a Past Life Regression book by Doreen Virtue on mine...  These are great listens for flights.  You just close your eyes and get lost.
  • Cashmere Eye Mask - Speaking of "closing your eyes"...  Before a trip to Paris three years ago, I bought one of these from Saks (boo!)...  I travel with it all the time now.  It's nice and soft.  And more importantly, it's clean. No need to worry who else may have used it before me.
  • Journal - I get ideas all the time while in flight.  
  • Scarf/Pashmina/Shawl - Whatever you call it, I take one on board with me.  My body temperature goes all over the place while in flight.  And I prefer not to use blankets that the airlines have (or pillows for that matter).  You can get nice $15 ones at the airport stores.
  • Laptop - I can't travel without it.  That doesn't work for me. I don't want to be in a world where going without it is the norm.
I try not to eat on planes.  Unless it's a flight over four hours.  Then I take some trail mix or crackers on with me.  And if meals are served, depending on the airline, I will eat some of the pieces. (I don't eat raw veggies, or cooked ones.  Bread and cooked meats and pastas are usually safe.)

Now I must go pack my carry-on bag.

Comments

Have a great flight, and may no Argentine man rub your legs with his the whole time, despite there being an empty seat between the two of you...
Me said…
Oh I would WELCOME that! It would make for a great blog post!
Anonymous said…
Great list; you are a pro. You don't need some sort of candy for your ears when they react to the cabin pressure? I always have to have 'wine gums' or 'starburst'.

Have a safe trip - and
Merry Christmas, Missus, & Happy Boxing Day, ~Tiann
April Elizabeth said…
have safe and efficient flights!
Anonymous said…
Kudos to you for being a smart and considerate traveler. I almost feel as though this entry should be required reading for anyone purchasing a plane ticket these days.

I can't tell you how many times I witness someone hogging the entire aisle while they get settled and stow their carry-on, only to have the entire plane waiting behind them to take their seats. Or the person who thinks that their economy-class seat is one of those fancy fully reclining first class beds, and after take-off, leans back as far as he can go, crushing me and severely limiting my space. Or the indignant flyer who thinks a flight attendant is his personal butler, demanding multiples of everything, that very instant.

I know air travel is rough these days. Long lines to get thru security, flight delays and cancellations abound, and an extreme cutting back in services in the air. But if more travelers shared your mindset, maybe air travel in this country wouldn't be as bad.

Enjoy your travels!
Have an amazing trip and a very merry christmas!!!

xoxo
Ym

Popular Posts