Why I Won't Shop At Saks Fifth In Boston Anymore.

Hmm...  Little bit peeved.

There is this Joie blouse that I have liked for a few months at Saks.  Only I had decided not to buy it, for the following reasons:
  • It was $228.
  • It was cream-colored. (I don't do well with light colors.)
  • It was Dry Clean Only.  (Which means I really shouldn't wash it by hand.)
I liked it because it was flowy and bohemian-esque.  And it was totally my style.  But the color and the Dry Clean Only issues made it too expensive at the original price.

Then, last weekend, I was out with The Husband.  We were at Saks browsing all the great sales they were having.  We saw the blouses on the "Take 50% Off The Ticketed Price" rack.  Which made the blouse now $114.

"I love it," I told The Husband.  "But I am not ready to buy it yet.  If it's still here next weekend, maybe I will get it then."

We agreed that I should think about it some more.

Then, I went to Saks yesterday to look at some bubble bath, and I saw the blouse (in my size) still on the sale rack.  But I wasn't looking for a blouse, and I told myself, "I will just wait a few days."

Well, today I had to go to the grocery store, which is right next to Saks.  So I popped into the store.  And for a Saks Fifth Avenue store a few weekend before Christmas, the joint was dead...  Not completely dead... But it wasn't hopping like it normally is on a Sunday afternoon - regardless of the season.

So I walked to the rack and saw the blouse was still there.  But I noticed something different this time... There was a new price sticker on the blouse.  It was marked $135.90.  And that caused me to wonder...

"Is it 50% off of the $228 price?  Or is it 50% off of $135.90?"

Well, I decided that the blouse would either be $114 (50% of the original price) or 50% off of $135.90.  Either way, I was ready to buy the blouse at $114 or less.  So I took it to the register.

And I waited.  

That's pretty typical at Saks.  The sales help there moves very slowly.  Usually, they sit around chatting while one of them works pretty hard.  I was used to this, so it didn't bother me much.

And finally, it's my turn at the register.

"Was anyone helping you today?" the young woman asks.

"Nope," I said  "You're the first one."

"Okay," she said.  Then she asked, "Would you like to apply for a Saks credit card for an extra 10% discount today?"

"Nope," I told her.  "I only pay with cash or debit."

"Alright," she said.  And then she stared at the price tag on the piece.  "Hmm...  I don't know."

"What don't you know?" I ask her.

She continued looking at the tag.

"It's ringing up at full price, but it's market $135.90," she said.  

"Yep," I confirmed for her.  "I was here yesterday and saw that piece, and it wasn't marker.  Today it's marked."

She continued to look confused.

"I don't know if I am supposed to charge 50% of the original, or 50% of the price on the tag," she said.  "Let me go find James."

I assumed James is the manager.  And while she went away to find him, I had to listen to the two useless sales idiots who were at the register chatting.  (Rather than helping other customers who were also at the register behind me.)

Eventually the girl comes back.

"James says it's $135.90," she says.

"You mean it's 50% off of the $135.90?" I ask, thinking I really scored.

"Nope," she says.  "It's $135.90.  The price on the tag."

"But it's on the 'Take 50% Off of the Ticketed Price' rack," I informed her.

"Yeah," she confirmed.  "But it's not supposed to be there.  It's supposed to be on the regular sales rack."

"Um, no," I inform her. "I know for a fact that that very blouse was on the 50% off rack last Saturday and Sunday.  It was there on Wednesday when I came in to check on it.  And it was there yesterday.  Every single time I saw it, the price was $228, and it was on the 50% off rack. Additionally, there are multiples of that blouse on the rack."
  
"So if I had bought it any time before now, it would have been $114," I told her.  "Now you want me to pay $20 more for it than it was yesterday?"

She looked at me like I was a stalker of the blouse...  Which, let's face it, I am.  In this economic environment, I am very selective with what I buy.

"James said it's $135.90," she maintained.

I wanted to inform her that this was a questionable business practice.  And that in certain states, that is illegal.  (Not sure if it is in Massachusetts.)  It's a "bait and switch."  They post it at one price, and then when you get to the register, it's another price.  And they think you either won't notice or won't walk away from the sale.

They are wrong though.

"No thank you," I told her.  "I don't want something that's Dry Clean Only that badly."

Shame on them.  I won't be going back to the Boston Saks anymore.  Such a shame for them too.

Comments

That Girl! said…
Idiots!!! As a shop owner, I know that sometimes sales are confusing, especially if you have many things on sale, but this situation that happened to you shouldn't have happened, period. If a mistake was made (which it sounds like it wasn't), the store should have given the sale price to you and then gone and sent someone to investigate i.e. moved the other remaining tops off the sale rack.

Again, I'll make my case about buying local when and if one can :) Granted we can't offer discounts like Barneys and Saks but this sort of bait/switch wouldn't have happened and the money you spend is a lot more appreciated! Plus the experiences in small shops tends to be a lot more pleasant.
I always go out of my way to make sure our customers fully understand the sales. And if something is incorrectly marked, so do what's best for the customer. Corporate isn't going to cry over $20, but that customer could become a very loyal shopper.
Anonymous said…
Absolutely, not acceptable. You should have asked to speak to James. And if needed, his supervisor.
~Tiann
This is EXACTLY why I swore off this Saks 2 years ago. I went in the day after Christmas and had a 400 dollar gift card. I was stoked because everything was 60-75% off. Except it wasn't.

I brought up a Marc by Marc dress and Peacoat to the register only to find out that they were "miss marked." Then a chloe dress. Same thing. I was so pissed. I couldn't get anyone to help me find anything that was ACTUALLY on sale.
Then I went upstairs and found the same chloe dress and they recognized the sale price. I was steaming at this point. I also found an amazing DVF shirt and they didn't have my size so I ordered it through the sales girl/major bitch.

As I was leaving I saw another Marc dress that was actually on sale but I was at my limit so I decided not to get it.

Shockingly the idiot that rang me up never called the other store to have them send the shirt and it never arrived. Of course I went back to get the Marc dress and it was gone.

I couldn't have been more upset. I called the Sacks Customer Service and got absolutely no where.

I think I still have about 200 left on that gift card but I hate that Sacks so damn much I refuse to go in there.

This is why I do all of my shopping at Intermix. It's all about customer service and representing the true price of an item.

Ridiculous!
Anonymous said…
You really need to send a copy of this posting (or a link) along with a brief explanation to the store manager or someone in the head office. This is no way to keep a customer, especially in these days of every other store declaring bankruptcy or going out of business. Bet they'll hold it for you and give it to you for alot less just for your trouble!
Me said…
I'm so jaded now though... I don't even want to go back in there.
Anonymous said…
While your experience at Sak's sounded awful, I think it's pretty severe to write-off a store based upon the ineptitude of one associate, or even one department. A few weeks ago I had an absolutely wonderful experience up in the coat department. The saleswoman not only took the time to get me a Searle coat I really wanted even while busy, but she gave me 50% off instead of the 30% off that Seale coats were, because the coat style had been placed on a 50% off rack. I saw the same saleslady proceed to make 2 more customers extremely satisfied with above and beyond customer service.

As someone who has worked in retail before, I would hesitate to speak ill of a large department store due to the volume of employees and the high turnover rates in retail more generally.
Me said…
You're right, Laura. I too have worked retail, but on teh boutqiue side... And I imagine the service upstairs in women's and teh high end designers sections is nothing but exquisite.
But the women's section downstairs? Dear Lord! Are they ever clueless!
Anonymous said…
FYI, Massachusetts does have a 'bait & switch' law. It's Ch. 93A. Any merchant worth her salt knows that statute.

I find that bringing it up to sales-clerks gets them a little nervous and they do one of two things:

1. they capitulate and will ring up your purchase as the price on the tag; or

2. they get a manager, which is fine, because the manager should know what you're talking about.
Me said…
Good tip! Thanks!
Anonymous said…
here's a tip, get a life. what do you do with your time...eat and shop??
Me said…
LOL!

No, ASSHOLE ANONYMOUS... I do far, far more than just eat and shop.

Let's see.. Where to begin...

Well, there's the obvious... I blog. A lot. And people actually read it (you know, like yourself!)

And I WORK. You know, fulltime... At a company... And I seem to be doing very well there. And at this magical job, I manage a team of five people. Who seem to be performing well.

Oh! And I love practicing Bikram yoga... And try to make it to at least three classes a week.

I have a husband... And I spend time with him doing couple-y things... Like watching political shows, news shows, movies, dinner dates... Sex...

I knit.. Scarves only... I taught myself. And I recently knitted two scarves... One for myself, and one for a gal on the West Coast.

I travel... And I am going to be traveling again next week, to Australia.

Yes, I like to shop too. But that mostly involves me researching and browsing before I actually put down my debit card.

And I do a lot more than just all this... But I wouldn't expect a casual dropper-by like yourself to know that.

So here's a top Anonymous... Go fuck yourself.

Wait... No... Yes...

Go fuck yourself.
Anonymous sounds bitter and jealous.
I'll bet its James.
LegallyBoston said…
MA has a consumer protection statute for things like that [Chapter 93A - scares anyone who knows what it is, LOL].

Anyways, if you ever decide to go back to Saks [or have friends who do], check out in Men's Wear - right near the LV section. There's a tall-ish, young blonde named Lauren [my sister] who works there. I believe the only female in the men's department and probably the nicest [the guys she works with suck - and that's putting it mildly!].

Sorry that happened =/

Popular Posts