Acupuncture & The Bad Back.

I was out sick from work work on Monday. I was out sick with a bad back.

On Sunday, I decided to get motivated and set turn our front bedroom into a small office for me to write in. There was a futon and a behemoth 27 inch screen TV I bought back in college in there. I kept the futon where it was, but decided to move the TV all the way through the house into the back dressing room.

The TV had to have weighed over 50 pounds.

So I moved it myself (because husband wasn't around) and ended up straining my lower back, despite using my knees.

I woke up Monday very sore and having issues getting up and out of bed. Even though I do yoga and have a strong back, I shouldn't have tried to move the TV myself. That was just asking for punishment.

So my back was sore all day Monday, into Tuesday. And because I don't take pills for pretty much anything, I was still in pain when I went to my standing acupuncture appointment at Exhale.

My acupuncturist, who is just phenomenal, always starts our sessions off by asking me how things are going and if there were any problems in the previous week. I told her about my back. So when it came time to work on my back side, she pressed areas in my lower back with her hands to gauge where the "tender spots" were. She pressed some needles into the spots and heated some moxa over them. Then she worked on the rest of my back for my usual problems.

It was strange, I got up off the table after the session and put my robe back on. I walked out of the room and it took me a second to realize something was different. My lower back pain was 99% gone!

I'm SO not kidding people!

I still had a little "tweak" of pain on the left side, but I think it may be due to something else, not the furniture moving.

I can't say this enough, acupuncture is a great thing. Actually, all "energy" work is fantastic. And it takes a few sessions of it to really open up your body to respond to it. But when it does, it's wonderful.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know I really should give it a whirl as my back is terrible and so may people rave about acupuncture, but I just don't consider a needle therapeutic at all! In fact, it frightens me, never mind a whole back full!
Me said…
The needles don't hurt at all. I don't even feel them much. They're used to stimulate pressure points where energy isn't flowing properly.

If you're really afraid of needles, I would try Reiki.

It's like acupuncture, but no needles.

Popular Posts