You're Not Getting Any Sympathy From Me.

Was just over at TMZ watching this video where Paris Hilton tells the paparazzi that she was "treated unfairly" and "doesn't deserve" to go to jail.

Umm... Sorry bi-atch, but yes you do.

I will admit it... I've never been a fan of Paris Hilton. I've never watched her show. I did like one of her songs last summer. But overall, I'm not fan. And she's not going to get any sympathy from me for "telling the truth" on the stand at her hearing on Friday.

In case you've been living in a vacuum, Paris Hilton was sentenced to 45 days in jail for driving on a suspended license; stemming from a drunk driving incident last fall.

Paris claimed that she was unaware that she was not supposed to be driving, and that her "mouthpiece" (PR guy), Elliot Mintz, told her she was allowed to drive.

Paris, dear, most PR people don't have legal degrees. You should have met with your lawyers personally and gotten the full information.

Ignorance is not a reason to go easy on someone when it comes to the law. And the law would not go easy on most people who gave the same reason as she did.

For example... About 10 years ago, when I was in university, I was pulled over while driving down Speedway Blvd. in Tucson. It was evening. I was on my way to a club for a Fiona Apple concert.

The cop asked me why I thought he pulled me over.

"Umm, speeding?" I asked.

"Yes," said the copper. "And you were tailgating the person in front of you."

I didn't disagree. I was driving aggressively.

He asked me for my license and registration.

I handed him my registration. But I didn't have my license at the time. I had lost it.

The cop handed me my ticket and said, "Here's your ticket. Now, I'm cutting you come slack. If you go to the DMV tomorrow, get a new license, photo-copy it, and send it in with the ticket, I'll dismiss the ticket."

I thanked him and did exactly what he had asked the very next day.

Fast forward about five months, and my Dad gets a notice in the mail that says my license has been suspended. He called me laughing, and asked me what I had done. He told me the date that was listed in reference in the suspension, and that it was for failure to pay a ticket. I reminded him about the ticket I had gotten being pulled over. (I don't keep much secret.)

Turns out, the cop didn't mean he would dismiss the speeding ticket. He meant he would dismiss the citation for not having my license on me. But he never once mentioned that when he gave me the ticket. He never said he was citing me for not having my license. He only mentioned the speeding ticket.

So, despite telling the truth to the DMV about the traffic incident, they still made me pay the $500 to get my license back. It didn't matter what the cop didn't or did say. It only mattered that I had committed an infraction. So I had to pay. And $500 for a student is a lot of money.

So I have no sympathy for Paris Hilton. Ignorance doesn't make you exempt.

Comments

Popular Posts