Spring Equinox.

Months back, while walking to Copley, I noticed that a building near the Back Bay T station was going to be adding a, Equinox Fitness.

Equinox is a popular gym chain in NYC. I had quite a few bosses during my career in that city that worked out there. It was always out of my budget, so I never went in the place. But it looked beautiful, even from the outside.

Well, while out and about today, I walked past the gym, and decided to go up and check it out. It was beautiful.

The place just opened this past week. And everything shiny and new. I got a tour of the joint, and there was a lot to see...
  • Rows of cardio equipment
  • Weight space that's not crowded
  • A room with punching bags and gloves
  • An insanely beautiful yoga/pilates studio
  • A kinesis section
  • A spa
  • And the most beautiful locker room I have ever seen
This place is beautiful. Much nicer than the Boston Sports Club I have been a member at for 4 years... And neglected to go for months. (The place is always crowded! The machines turn to crap quite quickly. I have to wait to use an machine.)

Because Equinox is new, and on the expensive side, it's pretty empty. And most people seem to go in the evenings, or so I was told. (I'm strictly a morning gym gal.)

The best thing about Equinox, though, wasn't all the amenities it had... (Free razors in the locker room!) It was the selection of classes they offer that won me over..
  • Forza! - The Samurai sword fighting class
  • Sunrise Yoga - A gentler form of yoga in the AM
  • Classic Pilates
  • Dance
  • Cardio Dance
  • Latin Groove Dance
  • Inka - A class where you use straps attached to an elevated bar to suspend your body weight
So, I decided to sign up for the gym. Which means I have to cancel my BSC membership. Equinox is about $50 more a month than I am paying at BSC. But with immaculate space and the many options for classes, it's worth it.

As part if my membership, they gave me two free week-long passes for friends. If anyone wants one, let me know. You get to try out Equinox (which is only in Back Bay) for a week for free.

Comments

'omie said…
$50 MORE a month than BSC?? Um, yeah.

Have you looked into Healthworks? My gf loves it (and primarily only does classes.)
Me said…
Not a fan of the classes at Healthworks. Plus, I don't like that it is all chicks. Not that I go to a gym to look at guys... But I haven't seen any "male only" gyms out here in Beantown. Plus, from what I understand, Healthworks is only about $20 cheaper a month than Equinox.
Anonymous said…
What are people paying for a membership at Equinox? They quoted me $134/mo with an initiation fee of $225 (475 - 250 credit). I refuse to join LA Sports Club because they practice price discrimination, charging different people different prices. We have to keep these guys honest by openly discussing fees...
Me said…
Equinox is $134 a month. But I had no initiation fee. And it came with a fit evaluation (where you do push ups, stretches and run on a treadmill to see how fit you are.)And then you get a free personal training session based on your evalutaion. So it was worth it to me to joing equinox, because i joined at the end of the month; when they are typically tring to cut deals to meet quotas. Don't try to join a gym at the begininning or middle of the month.
Equinox, for me, is also worth it because it's near my home and I LOVED the classes they offer.

Popular Posts