She's Not Bright.

Had quite an unusual experience last night at the marketing industry event I went to.

Well, actually I had two unusual experiences.

The first (and more amusing of the two) was having some small marketing shop guy (who looked to be in his late 60s) come up to a co-worker of mine and myself to "network." The guy was socially awkward. Before he even really said a word to us, he sat there and stared at my chest.

No, I wasn't wearing a revealing top. He was trying to read my name tag. And because he was so tall, he really had to bend down to read it. Of course, he could have just asked me my name and where I worked.

So to break the silence and the awkwardness of this guy invading my personal space, I asked him, "Are you looking at my breasts or my name tag?"

He wasn't expecting that kind of response from me. And it definitely through him off. After about 2 minutes of trying to start a conversation with me about where I worked, my co-worker (who was visibly pregnant) said she needed my help making her exit. So I was then free. (Yay!)

The other odd experience I had last night involved an idiot girl who works at a vendor of mine.

I was chatting with a friend of mine, who happened to be a guy. This girl came up to us and started talking to my friend. She didn't acknowledge my presence, or the fact that he and I were having a conversation. She just walked up and asked him about his love life.

"Are you still with your girlfriend?" ("Yes.") "Is it serious?" ("Well, we do live together.")

After that, she segued the conversation to cover where she worked. (Which my friend used to work at too.) She told my friend about how a lot of the senior and good people from her company had left in the past few months.

She then told my friend (By the way, she still hadn't bothered to introduce herself to me yet.) about how she was now in charge exclusively of recruiting for this company. Because they are really understaffed and don't have enough people to really cover their accounts.

Since she hadn't bothered to introduce herself to me (and there hadn't been a break in her conversation with my friend) this is where I chose to insert a snarky comment.

"Wow," I said. "That explains why all my deliverables are late."

Her brain didn't seem to connect the dots with my comment. Despite wearing my name tag (which she could see) that listed both my name and my company, she didn't comprehend that I was a client of her company. And that maybe she shouldn't be telling me this stuff.

Her response to my snarky comment was a nasty look and an "Umm... Whatever!" comment.

My response to that was, "Um, yeah. Whatever. Not like I am client or anything."

She still didn't seem to connect the dots. She continued her conversation with my friend. Then, at the end of it, she decided to introduce herself to me. Even then, she still didn't seem to comprehend that I was a client.

She obviously isn't a very good recruiter. She lacks people skills. She's a bad representative of her company. She should know that these industry events are likely CRAWLING with current or potential clients of her company. And if this is the person who is trying to convince others to join the company, then I am screwed. My rep won't EVER be able to give my account the attention it needs in a timely fashion.

Now, as a result of her brutal honesty about the lack of internal resources they have AND her unfriendly attitude towards me (a client), I'm a little worrried.

I work with a lot of different vendors in my current job. And despite having another one that never emails me back; this particular vendor now is at the bottom of my list.

Comments

'omie said…
There are some really brainless people out there. It's amazing their supervisors still think their fit for employment.
Me said…
yeah.. It's funny, I used to work at this same company (who is now a vendor)... And I like my team there very much. But this HR person totally opened my eyes to some of the problems that plague them. I kinda wish she hadn't.
Anonymous said…
I find it interesting that you didn't that mention in your original post that you used to work for this company? Is there a reason you decided to leave out this piece of information?!
Me said…
I left it out because in the initial posting, I wanted to keep it more "blind" than it was. But in the comments, it's open.
Me said…
Besides... Good luck finding any info on this blog that tells you where I used to work. So it is still blind. Plus, it was a couple of years ago that I worked at this vendor. In fact, it was two years today that I left that company and started at another one. And I don't really know too many people at the vendor now. Like the recruiter pointed out, a lot of th senior people (though she referred to them as "good") have left. So no need to really point out that I worked there at one point. It was a long time ago. Four promotions, three jobs and five salary adjustments ago.

Popular Posts