Talking About Yourself Is Never Bad.

At the past few jobs I've had, I've rubbed some people the wrong way. (Duh!)

I rubbed people the wrong way in that I was never afraid to brag about my accomplishments. You know, what I had done that was helpful. What I had done that was good. What I had done that totally kicked ass.

And for some reason, that rubbed some people (women AND men) the wrong way. They subscribed to the theory that "your work should speak for itself."

And while I agreed that your work should validate what you have achieved in your career, ultimately you can't always wait or rely on management to make things happen for you... Especially at agencies. You have to make it happen for yourself. And, if you can talk up other people's accomplishments (like those who report into you and your peers) then you look even better.

So I wasn't surprised to read on Boston.com about how research shows women (though I think it applies to men as well) aren't comfortable talking about their accomplishments in a promotional way.

I'm not saying your interactions with people at work should always be about what you are doing and what you have accomplished... But when timing allows for it, you should never hesitate to point out what you have contributed. And not just during "review time." You should be "managing" up and being proactive by letting your manager know a few months before review time (at least) what you have done, what the next step is in your career path, and how to get there.

Bottom line... I don't think I have done anything super superior over any of my peers at previous jobs. However, because I was able to talk about my accomplishments, I was seen as a contributor and a forward-thinker (and an instigator). But that sent the message to management that I could get stuff done. And if I had a problem with something, I went to them with a solution for it. And when it comes down to it, that's what they truly want...

People in leadership roles who can get shit done and solve problems.

Comments

Popular Posts