A "Year 30" Resolution.

While out at dinner last night, I was talking with my husband about what waste it is to take on shopping bags when you buy something. You just end up throwing most of them out.

Now, I'm not just talking about grocery shopping. I see plenty of people who carry a reusable bag of some kind with them at all times in the off-chance that they might need to pick up some groceries. But I think you can apply it to all the shopping you do.

So I made a resolution.

I will no longer accept (if I can) any shopping bags from any store I go to. I'll be carrying on me (at all times, in my purse) a reusable cloth bag that will be used for all purchases.
  • Heading out to the drug store for some shampoo and Flintstone vitamins? No bag will be accepted.
  • Picking up some new tops at Anthopologies? No bags will be accepted.
  • Buying new shoes at Neiman Marcus? No bags will be accepted.
The only time I will accept a bag from a store is if the one I have does not fit everything I am buying.

And when it comes to grocery shopping, I've gone hardcore.

Every two weeks I head over to Whole Foods at Symphony to do my bi-weekly major shopping. On average, I buy about seven bags worth of groceries, and I have it delivered by the store.

Well, instead of having them pack everything into brown paper bags for the delivery, I bought seven of the reusable clementine bags they sell, and asked them to pack everything in those. (I don't think they had seen someone use so many reusable bags for a delivery.)



As you can see, my plan worked out nicely. And I think it's something everyone should try to do when they shop. You don't always need the bags stores give you. Just bring your own.

Comments

Chris Wight said…
We save our plastic grocery bags and use them for trash bags in the bathroom, cleaning the cats box, and throwing out something that has gone to the dark side in the fridge. They're handy!
Me said…
You have cats though... We don't have animals (landlord won't let us.) If we had pets, plastic bags could be handy. But we don't. And as it is, they pile up in our plastic bag collector bin.

But it goes beyond plastic bags. I don't want shopping bags from any store I go to. Including clothing stores. Those bags just always end up in the trash.

Popular Posts