Vegging... Update.

About a week and a half ago I decided to stop eating meat. So far, it hasn't been difficult. But I may have to add some thing to the list of things I can't eat.

I stopped eating meat (though I have been able to handle fish) because it was just not agreeing with my body. (I had stomach pains in my upper stomach. Like when you dry-heave.)

After eliminating meat from my diet (and I, seriously, used to eat it at every meal), I did start to feel better. So, while I have absolutely no ethical opposition against meat (I do love the taste), my body appears to be in a phase where it won't digest it properly. Not with out an argument, anyways.

Now though, I am thinking I am going to have to eliminate the mass quantities of refined carbs that I have been eating. You know... White bread, flour tortillas, pasta, chips, crackers, Captain Crunch cereal... (Yummy!)

These things are more difficult for a body to digest. And the pain I was feeling last night and part of last week just is not worth it. At all.

So, I'm not going to eat too much of the refined carb stuff either. Though I do love flour tortillas, and will have those on occasion. (I made veggie enchiladas last night for dinner... And was in pain after eating them.)

But so far, the giving up meat thing has not been a problem at all. It's been surprisingly easy. And you may be wondering, "so what the hell do you eat now?"

Here you go:
  • Grilled cheese, with whole wheat bread
  • Whole grain toast with flax seeds (really good) and spicy peanut butter
  • Whole wheat pasta with veggies
  • Spinach pie (Yummy!), made with phyllo dough
  • Sushi (had no problem with the rice)
  • Veggie burgers
  • Veggie pizza on a whole wheat crust (Pizza Pie-er makes an AWESOME "Red Vegetarian.")
  • Mac & Cheese (But not too much.)
  • Couscous
See? It wasn't too hard for me to go without meat. Quite easy, actually. Though someone was barbecuing last weekend in my neighborhood; and it smelled so good. Oh well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's a *lot* easier than everyone thinks. I've been meat-free since 2003.

Two articles of interest for you:

- Wolfgang Puck goes organic

- Widespread food contamination?
Chris Wight said…
You need to make sure you're getting protein from other sources if you're not eating meat. Protein should be a part of absolutely every meal, otherwise you're going to start losing lean body mass.

Brown rice and beans is a great source of protein. Eggs are a personal favorite, and they are one of the best protein sources around. You can pick up a can of chocolate whey protein powder and use it in smoothies (yum!). And lastly, something I've been meaning to check out it a grain called quinoa.
Me said…
Quinoa is yummy. I've had it for breakfast. My main source of proteins have been coming from eggs, nuts and nut butters.
bonbonagogo said…
Congrats on all the changes you are making! You are going to feel so much better! I gave up refined sugars and carbs in January with the help of a nutritionist, and I have lost about 30 lb. and feel a million times better! Protein IS super important at every meal--do you like tofu? Tempeh? Meatless burgers/chix patties/etc? She has given me A TON of creative ways to get all my nutrients in and NEVER get hungry...if you want some suggestions, please feel free to email me!

Popular Posts