Spring Cleaning: Organizing That Dressing Room.

Because our bedroom "closet" is about the same size as our bedroom, the Husband and I just call it a "dressing room."

And because it's so large and spacious, and has a large window AND a door, we often (okay... I) let it get messy. No one but us goes in there. And as long as I can get to the full-size dresser and the ironing board in there, I don't mind if stuff gets put into piles on the floor. (You know... There's the dirty pile. The not-so-dirty pile. The pile of stuff I tried on, then took off because I changed my mind.)

But even though we don't mind (so much) living in the clothing chaos, I decided last week (while I was sick) that I would make an effort to clean out the dressing room and organize it.

So I began going through all the various shelves in there (and there are a lot of them) and pulling things that I hadn't worn in years. Sadly, there were things in there that I found still had their tags on them. (Stuff I had forgotten about, and is now too small.) In the end, I had about six garbage bags of clothes and shoes (MOST OF IT WORN) that are going to be donated.

In addition to cleaning out old clothes, I also bought a bunch of drawer organizers, sweater storage bins and new hangers for the room.

All my drawers now have dividers in them to keep t-shirts separated from yoga pants, and my "unmentionables" from my socks. And the numerous tank tops I have (which are a MUST-HAVE for the Summer) are all neatly organized as well.

And I tossed out all our plastic hangers we had in use, and replaced them with nice wooden ones. It's amazing how much better wooden hangers keep your clothes shaped than the plastic kind. And nothing slips off them. Not even my wrap dresses.

And now that I have a nicely organized dressing room, I am able to more easily see what I have available to me each day. And things are going to "keep" better than they have in the past.

The best place, I've found, to get all the organizing supplies you need is definitely The Container Store. I ordered everything online; though if you have a car, you can just drive there and pick up what you need.

Comments

Popular Posts