The "Full-time" and "Working" Mommie Wars.

I'm not even pregnant yet, and I am already defensive on certain issues when it comes to motherhood.

In particular, the issue of being a mom who stays home (and not work professionally) or being a mom who works outside the home (and hires a nanny.) I am open to both options. And I think both options are fine choices. However, I am leaning more towards being a mom who works professionally outside the home.

The thing I have an issue with is the terminology that gets thrown around whether you are a mom who stays home or a mom who leaves everyday to work. I take great offense to the term "full-time mother." For me, saying this term and having it apply to only those moms who stay home (and not work) is complete B.S. Are moms who choose to work professionally not full-time moms too? Do they not think and earn money to take care of their children? And what about the term "working mother"? Are moms who stay home not "working?"

Whenever I tell people (those I don't work with) that I am probably going to continue working once I have a child, I get a look if dismay. They are all moms who do not work professionally. And while yes, my husband and I can afford to live well off of just his salary, I still want to continue doing my job. I like what I do. And to be honest, if it came down to it, I don't need to be with my company to do it. I could do it on my own. But I like my company. And I like the people I work with. And I am pretty sure that once I do have a child, I will still like working there and like the people.

But who knows? I could easily change my mind.

Comments

Popular Posts