Yuppie baby.

Nearly six years ago when I moved to Brooklyn, it was pointed out to me by my friends that we were all yuppies. We were young college graduates starting our careers and living in the un-gentrified neighborhood of Williamsburg Brooklyn.

At first, I didn't really grasp the concept of the whole "yuppie" persona. What did it mean? Was it a bad thing? Didn't yuppies have money, drive BMWs and eat sushi? Didn't the yuppie men wear "power ties" with their business suits and the yuppie women wear white sneakers with their business skirts? (Or was I just trapped in the 1980s with that definition?) This idea was lost.

Eventually, I began to understand what they meant. I was one of thousands of young college grads who had moved to New York and was on my way to developing a more sophisticated palate for nice and expensive things and driving up rents in cheaper neighborhoods.

Well, six years later I am definitely a yuppie, and I am okay with this. And as a yuppie, I like nice things, including:

  • Organic groceries (Better for your body.)
  • Three dollar bottles of Penta water (It's filtered 11 times and is the purest water you can find. It helped clear up my skin.)
  • Bikram yoga classes (So good for your body.)
  • Marc Jacobs and Chloe Bags (Art pieces, really.)
  • Fresh flowers picked up weekly (It's amazing how much daisies - my favorite flower - can brighten up a room.)
  • Starbucks Triple Venti Non-Fat Cappuccinos (Mostly espresso with a little milk. Yum.)
  • Paige denim jeans (Jeans made for curvy gals.)

The one thing I know that really shows me that I am a yuppie lately though is this...



It's the Bugaboo Cameleon stroller. And it is beautiful. It is also quite expensive. Around $900.

Now, you may be thinking, does a baby need a $900 stroller to be carted around? And my answer to you would be, "Yes. Yes they do."

Here's why.

This stroller is not just a stroller... It's practically a child-care giver itself. Well, not really... But close.

The $900 buys you a bassinet and a stroller that can be used on a child from ages newborn to 4 years old. So you never need to buy any other stroller. This one will work throughout the first four years of life. Additionally, the customized fabric (I will be getting one in all black) is MACHINE WASHABLE. (This is crucial.) Also, the complete package includes apron, sun canopy and seat inlay, Aerosleep mattress, underseat bag, rain cover, mosquito net and maintenance kit. You use the maintenance kit to style the stroller into many different seating arrangements for the little one. And the stroller is ideal for the urban mother (which I will be) and can easily maneuver in small boutiques and Starbucks. (I have seen this last one first hand in my neighborhood shops.)

So you see, the $900 is money well spent. The baby gets style and comfort and I get to continue going about my regularly-scheduled weekend "errands*."

(*By "errands" I mean visiting Starbucks twice in one day, and going over to Copley to visit Barney, Jimmy, Louis, Hugo, Ellie, Neiman, Thomas and J.... as well as going over to Newbury Street to visit Kenneth, Louis number two and Marc.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
$900? I don't think a full-time nanny costs that much.
Me said…
Oh Greten... You have no idea. A full-time nanny is WICKED expensive!!! (Try about $25k a year after taxes.)

Popular Posts