It's like, a totally important designer.

One of my favorite movies from 1995 is definitely "Clueless." (Any film major from college would agree with me that this was an excellent film. Not only because of the script, but because how seamless the whole story looked.)

Anyways... In the movie (as you probably recall) there is a scene where the lead character is getting held up at gun-point. The gun-man orders her to the ground after he takes her cell and handbag. She hesitates, opens her coat, shows her dress and says "Oh no. But this is an Alaia."

The gun-man says, "An a-whata?"

She says, "It's like a totally important designer."

The gun-man says, "And I will totally shoot you in the head, now get down."

She lays on the ground while the gun-man takes off.

I think this is the first moment in most of our lives where we were introduced to the likes of Mr. Azzedine Alaia. In fact, most of us probably still don't understand how high fashion Mr. Alaia's stuff is. He's not as in the mainstream as Prada, Calvin Klein, Oscar de la Renta or even Marc Jacobs (my favorite).

Well, last week when I wrote my "review" of the new Barneys New York in Copley, I neglected to give them props for one thing they have done right in the shoe department (which I was greatly disappointed in overall)... They carry Mr. Alaia's shoes.



This is the first place in Boston I have seen his shoes. They are pieces of art. It's worth the trip to Copley just to go to Barneys and look at them.

Comments

Popular Posts