Knocked-Off and Knocked-Down.

Reading through the Thursday Styles section and saw one of their articles on designer knock-offs and how they are hurting the fashion industry.

While I agree that it is important to look in many places for "trend inspiration" in which to dream up your own work, I do NOT condone buying flat-out knock-offs or stealing someone else's designs and making them your own. (Allen Schwartz of ABS., I'm directing this to you most of all... With you Oscar gown clear rip-offs.)

I know, you're probably wondering "If you're so into fashion and try to be a good consumer, and find similar trends at a cheaper cost, why are you so against knock-offs?"

It's simple. I think it is bad karma to buy something that you try to pass off as the real thing, but isn't. There's a difference (a clear one in my opinion) between everyone following a trend and having similar looks at different price points in one season and out-right copying. But when you go out there purposely buy a fake Fendi or Coach bag just to carry the label around, you're committing a crime against fashion.

I like to compare designer knock-offs to people plagarizing other writers or taking credit for things they didn't do. For example, last month I found out that a former colleague of mine at my last job was claiming credit for doing a report that I thought up, created and completed. She didn't have any part of the report for the client. She sat in on my initial meeting with my team to see what we could do with the client. But she never contributed anything... And she was going around, a year later, and claiming she designed this innovative document. Umm... sorry girlie. You did nothing. I'm the one who spent hours figuring out what the design of the doc should be. I'm the one who did the research. I'm the one wrote the copy. I drew out all the illustrations. (Catch the theme here?) You did nothing. And for that I think you will have bad karma cast on you professionally.

So, to sum it up folks, don't buy knock-offs. Sure, subscribe to trends for a season, but don't cast bad karma on yourself for the sake of saving a few bucks.

Keep it real!

Comments

Popular Posts