Taxonomy of Barnacles. A tax on my brain.


This is a book I just finished reading last night. I wasn't too impressed.

The book, written by Galt Niederhoffer (who wrote and produced "Prozac Nation"), is about six sisters (ranging in ages 29 to 10) and their competitive nature to constantly out-do each other. Their father calls them to dinner at the beginning of the book and tells them whoever can prove they will do the family name proud and carry it on wins the family fortune to themselves.

First of all, the book was written in a dry way. Nothing was striking about the prose. I felt like I was reading the editorial form of the movie "The Anniversary Party," "Sideways" or "Garden State" (three of the WORST movies of all time.) There were parts where I was drawn in... Such as the end when you find out the youngest girl wasn't fathered by the patriarch running the contest, that the patriarch is the biological father of his ex-wife's adopted son, and that the father actually doesn't have a fortune to leave to his daughters. He made the whole contest up just to get them off their privledged asses and motivated to do him proud.

It was a disappointing read. I don't recommend it to anyone. Maybe it would transition well into a film, but it was difficult to really care about the characters in book form.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ack! You almost made me spit up my drink. "Sideways" was one of the best movies ever. Maybe it's a guy thing. Four stars, but short of a tour de force, on the Greten scale.

You were right about "Garden State" though. One star. That thing sucked so hard. It got all preachy and symbolic and shit.
Me said…
I can't get behind Sideways. "Two men in search of women, win and themselves..." Blah-blah-blah! Neither of them found themselves! They were jackasses who were lucky to have had the experiences and people they've had.

Trust me, I love Paul Giamatti... But these two characters in the film were just lame. There was nothing redeeming about them.

Popular Posts