Back In The Bikram Studio.

"Bless me Father (Bikram)...  For I have sinned.  It has been two weeks since my last Bikram class."

It had been two weeks since my last class.  Till I went tonight after work.  And here's how it went:
  • The progress I made in the poses during the 60-day challenge stuck.  After a two-week break, I can still cross both legs in Eagle.  Woohoo!
  • I sweated a LOT LESS. My towel still had dry spots at the end of class. There were no puddles, like I was used to. And the room was just as hot and sweaty as it had always been.
  • I had no acid reflux.
  • My head did hurt in some poses.  And I did get dizzy.  I need to work on remembering to breath.
It seems like my body performed better after taking a good break.  I think practicing consistently every single day can take its toll. Your body needs at least one day a week for rest. Perhaps that is why Bikram designed Teacher Training to go Monday through Friday with doubles, a morning class on Saturdays, and Sundays off.

Now that I am working, I am establishing a set schedule for practicing: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays.

That is more regular than my practice was in Boston. So it is a good start.

Comments

Duffy Pratt said…
Congratulations. The first class back after a break can be scary. I'm not surprised that you kept your progress. People tend to overdo some things during a challenge and tighten up as a result. Then, after the challenge ends, things start to open up even more. So I wouldn't be surprised if you see some really nice progress in your next few classes.
ActionJoJo said…
Hi! I found your blog through TheDancingJ's blog. :)

I agree with you that your body definitely needs to rest and a long bout of not doing yoga may not be as bad as we think in terms of loss in strength and flexibility.

I went away on a 9-day cruise last month after practicing 6 days/week. I didn't do a lick of exercise during those 9 days and I was actually afraid of what it would be like in the sweat box. I found that I still had my strength and flexibility and that my anxiety about not performing as usual was my biggest demon, not my body. It's amazing how our minds can get us into a really tizzy.

In fact, my body was stronger because it rested. But boy that first day back I definitely detoxed from all that food, alcohol, and coffee I consumed on the cruise. I felt dizzy, nauseous, and there was a moment when I felt like I was going to pass out (heard my teacher's voice get distant and my sight started to blur) and had to calm myself with my breath! I had to sit down three times during class and my teacher even had to ask if I was okay.

And yes, there are days when I sweat very little (if I eat crap the day before) and there are days when I'm just a river of sweat. It's amazing how we notice these little details about our body and its changes on a daily basis. Self-awareness is a beautiful thing!
Dan said…
Good for you. Discipline!

Popular Posts