Lait Pitcher.

A few years back, The Husband and I were having cereal one night after dinner.  (Cereal, because it is loaded with sugar, is more of a dessert for us than breakfast.) As I was pouring the milk into the bowls, Human made a comment...

"In Canada, you buy milk in bags."

"Bags?" I asked.  "That sounds gross. Why would they come in bags? And do you just leave the bags in your fridge to pour from? It sounds messy."

He rolled his eyes and said that he "didn't know why they came in bags."  And that they "just do."

"Well, when we move there, I'm not gonna buy bagged milk," I informed him.

"Then I guess we just won't ever have milk," he said.

"Guess not," I confirmed.

I guessed wrong.

This morning, I had a grocery delivery to stock up on stuff for the house. One of the things I purchased was four litres of milk...



Yep, that's them bagged.  Here is what they look like individually...


You buy a special "lait pitcher" to serve it from...



You just drop the bag in and cut a hole on one corner.  It's not creepy like I thought it would be. In fact, I found myself wishing I had bought a more fancy pitcher for my "lait."

Comments

Ally W said…
Let me know if you ever find a "fancy" pitcher for lait! My Mum hates that she has a plastic one (similar to yours but bright red!!!) but has never found anything nicer!

We also cut a small hole in the other top corner to let the air escape when you're pouring...I find it smoother! Try it :)
Catherine said…
I love reading your blog when you come across random Canadian thing such as this. There are some prettier milk pitchers but they are hard to come by. Good luck!
Duffy Pratt said…
Depending on how fast you use the milk, you might consider a thermos instead. Your lait pitcher stays open, and the milk should spoil faster. Just an idea...
Leah said…
Wow, I had no idea that milk came in bags in Canada. That's so interesting to me! (I'm a dork) I think it seems a little bit more gentile and sophisticated to use a milk pitcher. What about other dairy products like half/half? Do those come in bags too?

I'd want a Hello Kitty milk pitcher!
I have this Pillivuyt milk pitcher and love it, but don't use it too often since there are just two of us.

http://www.caterinaltd.com/Milk-Pitcher-Large.aspx

Go Canada for using much less packaging for milk than we use in the States!
Leah said…
OMG I wrote gentile, hahahaaaaahha Where is my head today? So silly!
Me said…
ALLY: Thanks for the tip!!!

CEE: Thanks!

DUFFY: Good point! I will see how quickly Human uses the milk on his cereal. I may have to switch to a thermos.

LB: That is a cute pitcher! Hmm...

LEAH: Half/Half appears to come in a carton. And I can buy milk in a carton too... But it is more economical to do it in the bags.

Popular Posts