SpaMedica Toronto: "We Don't Service Your Kind Here."

Wow. I had my first anti-American experience today in Canada. And I am a little peeved about it.

I was exploring options for laser therapy face treatments in my neighborhood. There are a number of spas within walking distance form me (since I live so close to public transportation), and I called the one right around the corner from my house to see about setting up a consultation to see if I would be a good candidate for a particular treatment.

They were very nice on the phone. We started to set up the appointment, and then it got a little odd. The nice lady (and she was nice) asked me for a credit card number to secure the appointment. The only credit card I had was an American Express.

"Can I give you my American Express," I asked.

"Oh," she informed me, "We don't accept that card. Only Mastercard or Visa."

"Well," I said, "I have a Visa debit card from an old bank account in the States. I can use that for it. But you take debit in the office, right?"

"Yes," she confirmed. "But I have to ask..."

She had something to ask me.

"Yes?" I indicated for her to proceed.

"Are you American?" she inquired.

"Yes," I said. "But I am a Permanent Resident of Canada now. I live here permanently."

"Oh," she said. "I am so sorry. But it is against our policy to see Americans."

"I beg your pardon?" I asked. "You won't see me because I am American?"

"Yes, it is against our policy to see Americans," she confirmed.

"Why?" I asked.

"It is just our policy," she stated.

"But, I live here. I work here. In fact, I do a job many Canadians aren't yet qualified to do. I have a husband who is Canadian. I pay MUCHO taxes here. I own property here. I own property right around the corner from your fancy spa," I explained.

"I am sorry," was all she could say.

I thanked her, because she was very nice. But my only thought was, "This is bullshit! I didn't even vote for that asshole Bush, and I am being discriminated against for being an American!"

So I found an email address for the spa. And I sent an inquiry as to why they don't treat Americans. I made sure to include the link to my blog at the bottom of the email. I got a phone call response within an hour...

It was then explained to me that they couldn't treat Americans because their medical insurance and liability does not cover them seeing American patients. It does not matter if they live in Canada and work here. And the fact that I receive Canadian medical care does not matter either. Since it is a private spa, they don't take OHIP. But their medical insurance specifically does not allow them to cover Americans. Even ones that are Permanent Residents.

I still think it is bullshit. And let's be honest... It really is their loss. I mean, one Google search of my name turns up this blog. And one could easily determine with a few clicks that I really, really, really, really like spa treatments. And have been known to blow a shit load of AMERICAN $$$$$ at spas in Boston.

That is okay though. I have found another spa in my neighborhood that appears to want my business. And it actually has better reviews online. But in case you wondering people... be aware that SpaMedica in Toronto at 66 Avenue Road doesn't service Americans.

Comments

Me said…
I have no idea. It is still very baffling to me.
Anonymous said…
I wonder if it's only Americans that they refuse to treat, or is it anyone who's not Canadian?
Me said…
That is what I am still slightly confused about! When they initially told me the first time I spoke to them, they indicates that they would "treat all other types of citizens, just not Americans."

I am not sure if they meant all other "Canadian" citizens, or all other nationalities.
Anonymous said…
I wonder if it is because American's are so litigous...please do not take offense, that is not to say that you are, just in general it's seem that American's do a lot more suing then Canadians.
Unknown said…
What a delightful post, am so sorry you were treated that way, but working in the financial industry I can understand where they come from. Being upfront with you and providing you with a referral would of been way more professional of them, but you have no ideal how sneaky insurance companies are " they're rich for a reason " however am glad you found a happy alternative.

Josee
Teri said…
I'm glad I found this blog. As a permanent resident of Canada and a U.S. citizen, I too, pay mucho dineros in taxes and for my "free" medical care that is substandard (how do I know? I work in the health care sector.) I do find the comment that Americans are "litigous" a typical xenophobic comment based the Canadian's idea of what America is about by watching to many Hollywood movies. Thanks again....SpaMedica is off this American's list of possibilities for treatment/care.
Anonymous said…
I guess a business has the right to refuse service to anyone....based on race, religion, gender, nationality? Dunno. Who would want to go there anyways? I too, am American, permanent resident at pay the hefty 32% income tax to keep my roads free of ice and my "free" substandard medical care (OHIP). And as for Americans being "litigous"...well, that's the typical Canadian xenophobic comment they come up with after watching too many Hollywood movies. Thanks again, SpaMedica is crossed off my list...dont' have to waste my time!
Anonymous said…
I don't know why Americans aren't permitted at SpaMedica but I do know that the Kingston, Ontario cosmetic plastic surgery clinics also don't allow Americans. Why are you commenting on the "free" substandard medical care in Canada. I'm 65 and have always received the best care, and managed to retain my home in the process!! I understand many Americans go broke trying to obtain health care.
Anonymous said…
Likely their insurance doesn't cover anyone other than Canadians....you will get many us clinics in the us with the same clause....the costs to insure foreigners are so much higher easier just not to bother.
Me said…
Fair enough point... The thing is, though, I am a Canadian permanent resident. I pay taxes and have insurance in Canada. I have the same rights as Canadians, short of voting. And this includes not being discriminated against.
Anonymous said…
i find this odd, i have been seeing spa medica for years now. he travels all over the world teaching a creating possibilities for people. i my experience when someone is offended the truth is lost. from my own expeience if they have a policy for whatever reason. and i can find service elsewhere there is no problem.
Me said…
I agree.. That when people are offended, the truth is often lost. In this case, the truth was lost when the customer service of the spa took the route they did.

The could have easily said, for example, "I'm sorry ma'am. We don't have the capability to accept American credit cards. It mist be attached to a Canadian address."

That would have prevented any offense. Because at the time, I didn't have a credit card for Canada. But instead, they took the route of, "Oh we don't service Americans."

That is pure discrimination of a nationality. No matter how you try to reason it, Anonymous.
Me said…
And I would like to add, Anonymous, that this post from three years ago clearly states the facts of what happened. Sue, it states my reaction to how I was treated, but the facts are there. And they are there in an unbiased form.

I realize that a Google search of the spa tends to show this post high up in the search results. And thus, you are likely concerned that this is impacting the potential for the spa.

What I would recommend is that you realize the impact that social media and content have in this world. Customer service extends beyond what happens on the phone or in the spa. Small businesses need to begin to interact with consumers and build up their relationship with their audience (potential customers) in the digital space.

Create a Facebook page... a blog... a Twitter, a Google+ account... AND ACTUALLY POST CONTENT AND INTERACT WITH CONSUMERS! (Which I see they are starting to do.)

That's free advice right there, from a professional in the digital space.

Once you do that, my blog post will get pushed down in the search results over time. Don't waste your time battling a blog post from three years ago from an odd customer service experience... Build up your customer experience with other consumers.

Popular Posts