How Many Bags Are Considered "Too Many?"

Yesterday, I got an email from Frogger:
Did I tell you I did a huge dump of handbags?
And she listed off all the bags she had decided to keep in her rotation. She had narrowed things down to about 10 bags. But she added, "OMG, it still looks like so much" at the end of her email.

I told her that she is "packing light" compared to myself.

But it is different for everyone... There are people who use every bag they own and rotate them frequently. There are those who use a bag for a few days and then switch to one of their other favorites. There are people who quite a few but only use a few. There are even people (the horror!) who own two bags and only ever use those two.

I am one who owns a few and rotates them every few days/weeks. I don't own an obscene number. By the looks of this photo, I would say I own less than 20...


Don't be shocked!

That's not too many when you consider I have had some of them for nearly NINE YEARS. And the last time I bought a bag (not counting the Lululemon gym bag I picked up in July) was June 2008. (My vermillion Balenciaga number... Still my fave.)

My problem is that I, unlike Frogger, don't purge my bags. I keep them forever and ever and ever. And depending on whether or not I am working, I use certain bags more than others. These are the ones that get heavy rotation when I am a working gal...



How many do you own??? And do you treat them all equally?

Comments

Frogger said…
One of the dumped bags was a cigar-box bag with Marilyn Monroe on the front. Come on?! Who owns that? And who wears that? Really? Had to be dumped. But for what it's worth, 'dumped' by my definition means dumping into a bag and handing off to "Dress for Success" - an awesome non-profit that helps dress battered and abused women leaving the shelter and re-starting their life over again, with new clothes and hopefully, a fab new handbag!
ill say that i have 15 good ones that i keep in my closet and have five of those in constant rotation.
Danielle said…
Your bags are beautiful! I only have two great ones but when I can afford more there will most definitely be more, and more, and more :)
Me said…
Thanks Globetrotter! When I was your age, I wasn't stylish enough to even know what designer bags were... I acquired most of my collection in my late 20s and early 30s. So having two that you love is a great start!
amandadawn said…
Actually, I have three bags. Well, four, but I have a Michael Kors bag I am selling on ebay because I just don't love it. I'm picky (apparently) about the bags I like, and I have a hard time shelving bags I love. I rarely change, though.
Vanessa said…
I'm sorry to say that I am a two handbag person. Both are nice, well constructed and will last a long time. I rarely switch between the two because I always seem to leave something in the other bag that I need. I know, disappointing!
Me said…
That's not disappointing!

I think the bottom line is to "Use what you buy. Don't waste."

So if you only buy two and use those two, that is excellent.

With my new closet set up, I am using all my bags more, as I have them all in my line of sight in the mornings when I get dressed.

Popular Posts