My Girlie Hand Towels.

Back when I worked for the Evil Empire, I got to take advantage of the legendary company "Tag Sales."

"What's a 'Tag Sale,'" you ask? Let me tell you...

A "Tag Sale" at the Evil Empire happened a few times a year. It took place right in the middle of the huge office space we occupied at 26th Street and the West Side Highway. At the sale everything that was no longer needed was sold for a fraction of the cost. So, all the props from magazine photo shoots... Dishes that were out of stock from the catalog... Samples the buyers had picked up for the catalog, but never decided to take on... It was a magical thing. And there were strict rules about the sale...
  • You had to line up for entry.
  • You had to pay in cash.
  • You had to accept that some things would be "sold" to important people within the company before the sale even began.
  • You had to take whatever you bought right away. No leaving it to pick up later.
People got rude. People got pushy. There was great stuff to be found at great deals, but you needed to make damn sure you had the energy and endurance to get through it. As soon as the sale was "open," people would power walk to whatever things they had their eyes on. So it was an excellent cardio workout.

I scored a few good things which now have proper resting spots in my home. But the things that probably waited the longest for a proper space are my girlie towels...



Oh how I love these! We used to sell them when I worked there. They were pricey too... Almost $30 a piece. When they were discontinued and all the leftover stock was made available to purchase through the sale, I picked up about 15 of them.

Over the years, I have given them out as gifts. But I never had a place for them in my own home until this house. Because now I finally have a bathroom all my own, and they can go in there. I don't have to hear The Husband complaining about "girlie towels in the bathroom."

They are in my bathroom. And my bathroom is (finally) girlie.

Comments

Catherine said…
I work in a buying office and we have a similar sale too. We sell all the samples that we have in the office that are no longer needed. We have a sale every couple of months and bigger items are up for auctions. Great finds!

Popular Posts