Vogue: The September Issue.

It's the end of August... And there has been something bugging me for about a week now...

The September issue of Vogue.



Those of us who read the glossies every month (and even some of you who don't) know that September is always the biggest issue of the year. It has more ads for the upcoming Fall collections. But it also has the most supreme content of the whole year. And, again, this is for any fashion mag, not just Vogue.



For example, Harper's Bazaar had great coverage "The Best Bargains For Now"... The piece listed examples of classic essentials (like the LBD) and styles that you could pick up for less. They also gave you lists of places where you could actually buy them.

They also had another story about "The Burka Ban Uncovered"... Which was a controversial piece about France and the imposition of a dress code that President Sarkozy recently proposed. It could ban Muslim women in France from wearing the burka. It was a piece that helped draw me into the magazine for an hour or so.

Shit! Even InStyle I found fascinating this month. And some of you know how "down-hill" and "silly" that magazine has gotten in recent years. But even they won my attention span for an hour with their information on beauty products and their "10 Ways To Look More Polished" piece.

But Vogue?

I laugh, because it has really gotten so bad in the last year. I flipped through the September issue. I was bored by it. I'm sorry, but I don't find Charlize Theron to be fascinating. And her pictorial, though she is a classic beauty, was dull.

And I know, I KNOW, that the September issue is always more heavy on ads than content... But it took us till page 278 to get to the "Up Front" section. This is the piece that notes the magazine's content "starts here."

I feel like Vogue is getting more and more out of touch with readers. I don't expect the magazine to appeal to everyone... But it just isn't exciting anymore. And I am sorry, but I could really do with less silliness from Plum Sykes. The last solid story I read from her in Vogue was a year or two ago, when she wrote about the buttons on her designer coat. I agreed with her that often designer coats are great quality except in one area: the buttons. They pop off very easily. And you then learn to develop your skills with a needle and thread - ensuring secured buttons. As for this September's issue... I could really give shit about "Country Couture."

And the piece on Hugh Jackman... Dear Anna Wintour... If we must learn something about him personally, could you at least include a shot of him with maybe his shirt unbuttoned? I know he is very talented, and "yay" for him trying to help revive Broadway and all... But I saw him in a suit all during the Academy Awards this year. Can I see him with his shirt off, just a little?

I just can't recommend Vogue as a "must-read" on a monthly basis, people. Harper's Bazaar, Elle, InStyle - YES. Vogue? No.

It is on the verge of being more appropriately called, "Out of Vogue."

Comments

I couldn't agree more. I too found it boring as hell. I haven't given up on vogue yet, but maybe thats because I am just so freaking excited to see the September Issue on Friday. Now that was an issue, what 900 pages, 700 pages of adds. I took me 6 months to finish!
Me said…
Oh yes! The last good September issue was definitely 2007. I kept that one for MONTHS too. The September issues should ALWAYS be a guide for the season... One that you need to keep around till Winter ends.

Popular Posts