Fallen Hem.

Oh dear.

I wore my blue graphic print shift dress to work today. I had a client meeting first thing in the morning, and because I am lacking in the "dressy work clothes" category, I wore this same dress again.

I seem to wear it once every two weeks because it is one of the few decent dresses I have to available for client meetings. Or, it was decent until today...


I discovered halfway through the day that I had a "fallen hem."

Thankfully, it didn't fall until after my client meeting. But I had to sit the rest of the day with the hem like that. And it bugged me to walk around with it because I could feel the undone hem against the back of my knees.

I felt unkempt. And normally, that is okay with me. But when I make an effort to dress up and look nice, it is not okay.

And now, I have to figure out how to hem the dress. I don't really want to take it to a professional to be fixed. I should be able to do it myself, as I do have a sewing machine.

Comments

me said…
I recommend the iron-on kind of hem repair. It's easy, nobody will notice, and it's an easily reversible decision, should you choose to get the hem professionally repaired.
Me said…
Great idea! Thank you so much!
Bratty Duke said…
There's also double sided tape for these types of emergencies.
Unknown said…
Um, I would strongly recommend against the iron-on hem repair. On a silky fabric, it can make the hem stiff, and if it penetrates the fabric it will cause irreparable damage. I've been sewing for a loooong time. Hemming is pretty easy. Take a look at the existing hem and try to duplicate it. If you can't see stitching on the outside of the garment, do a "blind hem" by hand. You won't screw it up as long as you only take a tiny bit of the outside fabric, and don't pull the thread too tight. If you can see a line of machine stitching on the outside of the garment, you can stitch it by machine. Just make sure to match the existing thread, and use a needle that is appropriately-sized. A size 10 (70) machine needle works for most thin-ish fabrics. If you have any questions, feel free to email me! :)
Vanessa said…
At least its something that can be easily repaired. It's a beautiful pattern.

Popular Posts