I Only Have Two Problems...

That was my response to the head of the personal training department at the new gym I joined when she told me,"You eat way too much sugar."

As part of joining this new gym, I had to have a fitness evaluation. It sounded like a big deal, and there were all these rules I had to follow before meeting with The Head for my evaluation... Like:
  • No drinking alcohol 24 hours beforehand.
  • No drinking caffeine 12 hours beforehand.
  • Have a small meal a few hours before.
  • Come in rested.
  • Write down every single thing you eat for the preceding three days.
At my last gym in Boston, they were serious with their evaluations - which were mandatory. They were free. But you didn't have to do them. In Boston, they would do the following in the session:
  • Measure blood pressure and resting heart rate.
  • Measure your weight.
  • Pull out the pinchers and measure your body fat composition.
  • Measure the girth of all your limbs.
  • Ask you what your fitness goals were.
  • Make you run on a treadmill with increasing intensity to see where your heart rate would hit the maximum.
  • Sit-up measurement.
  • Flexibility measurement.
  • Push-up and plank measurements for core.
  • Balance measurement.

All serious stuff. I figured this would be more of the same thing, only more intense, because there were rules and I had to write down everything I ate.

Well, it was not as intense.

They did the following:
  • Measure blood pressure and resting heart rate.
  • Measure your weight and you body fat ratio with a special scale..
  • Measure the girth of all your limbs.
  • Ask you what your fitness goals were.
  • Sit-up measurement.
  • Flexibility measurement.
  • Squat measurement.
  • Push-up and plank measurements for core.
  • Diet analysis.

It took a total of 35 minutes. And five of those minutes were spent trying to sell you on personal training sessions.

Argh!!! So annoying!

I explained to The Head that I did personal training for two years. I learned a lot. I had a lot of fun. I gained quite a bit of muscle. I didn't lose a single ounce, though that was not my goal with personal training. It was to learn how to make my workouts more creative and use the equipment properly.

I am not doing PT again. I know how to do these things myself. Really, I do.

I had a trainer who taught me how to run and do intervals on the treadmill, despite never having liked to run before that. I know how to do many various exercise with free weights. I stay away from the weight machines, for the most part, because I know free weights are more challenging for me. I know various boxing routines and circuit routines.

Really, a trainer would be bored with me. I pick things up quickly and am able to do them properly. My only problem is consistency.

Well, that, and sugar.

Comments

Mei said…
I'm starting to think these "evaluations" are REALLY a sales pitch. Had mine done 3 years back, and apparently I was "obese" as I had a high percentage of fat on my body.

Had another one done earlier this year and the verdict was "Your BMI is OK, but do gain some muscle and lose a little fat. Now, if you sign up with us NOW TODAY LIMITED TIME ONLY!, you'll get 10 free PT sessions..." Felt like giving the guy a punch on the head.
Vanessa said…
I agree, the evaluations are important, but when its disguised as a sales pitch its just wrong. Makes me think of "relationship marketing" (MLM).
Catherine said…
I'm just finishing up a 3 months 3x a week package with a PT. Not sure it was totally worth it. I did learn a bunch, gained some muscle, but didn't lose any weight which was part of my goals. They keep saying that I'd need more sessions to achieve it. The best thing from it: consistency. It make me actually go to the gym 3x a week.
Bex said…
I'm just wrapping up a 6-month PT session (3 mos. at 1x a week, 3 mos. at 2x a week). I have noticed I'm a lot more toned, but I have also noticed (like you) that I don't go to the gym as often either. One of the reasons, I think, is that my trainer works me SO HARD on the days we meet that I can barely move the next day, soooo, I skip. I think by now I can do the weight stuff on my own.
I never did my Equinox eval because I didn't want to be harassed about PT. They still call me 18 months later to set it up. I don't think so!

Between the classes, and personal knowledge you can get a great workout and save plenty of money that is much better spent on a new outfit(s) for that hot new bod!

I will never give up sugar, I would rather be fat and eat cake than ever live in a cake-less world.
BFW (Tammy) said…
Screw the sugar comment! I read your blog... you DO NOT have a serious sugar problem -- AND -- sugar tastes fricken good!
Me said…
LOL!

Sugar does taste good! AMEN!

Popular Posts